We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 53 Posts
    Hi,

I’m trying to install MODx into a virtual directory on a Windows Server.

But I keep getting this error:

FATAL ERROR: MODx Setup cannot continue.

* Make sure you have specified a valid MODX_CORE_PATH in your setup/includes/config.core.php file; this must point to a working MODx core.
    * Make sure your /core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.

I have double checked the permissions so I think it must be an issue with the path.

The browser path is this:

http://server/modxrevo/setup/

I have tried setting the path to this:

<?php
    define('MODX_CORE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/modxrevo/core/');
    define('MODX_CONFIG_KEY', 'config');

I’ve also tried "modxrevo/core/", "core/" and "/core/" but with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.
      Enovate Design | Web Design Agency Essex
      • 1,336 Posts
      Ok, have you checked this
      Make sure your /core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.
      ?
        Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
        • 4,149 Posts
        Quote from: mwalsh at Oct 21, 2009, 06:12 PM

* Make sure you have specified a valid MODX_CORE_PATH in your setup/includes/config.core.php file; this must point to a working MODx core.
        * Make sure your /core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.

The browser path is this:
        http://server/modxrevo/setup/

I have tried setting the path to this:

<?php
        define('MODX_CORE_PATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/modxrevo/core/');

I’ve also tried "modxrevo/core/", "core/" and "/core/" but with no success.

Well, MODX_CORE_PATH must be an absolute path. I’m assuming you’re talking about editing the config.core.php in /modxrevo/setup/includes/config.core.php, which means your:

dirname(__FILE__).'/modxrevo/core/';

Wont work because that points to /modxrevo/setup/includes/modxrevo/core/.

You need:

dirname(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))).'/modxrevo/core/';

Or something similar.
          shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
          • 53 Posts
          Thanks for the swift responses.

Yes I have double checked the permissions.

I’ve confused the issue as I pasted the code snippet from the config.core.php in the root in my first post rather than the setup one.

This is the code I have in the file here: /modxrevo/setup/includes/config.core.php

<?php
          define ('MODX_CORE_PATH', MODX_INSTALL_PATH . 'core/');
          define ('MODX_CONFIG_KEY', 'config');
          define ('MODX_SETUP_KEY', '@traditional');

I have also tried the variants I mentioned in my prevous post here as well but with no success.

Thanks.
            • 53 Posts
            I’ve tried using this code in the setup config file:

<?php
            define('MODX_CORE_PATH', dirname(dirname(__FILE__)) . '/core/');
            define ('MODX_SETUP_KEY', '@traditional');

The error massage changes to this:

* Make sure your D:\folder\folder\modxrevo\setup/core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.

The forward and backward slashes in that path are probably an issue?!

Just to completely rule out the permissions, I have run a quick test and I was able to create a file in the cache directory using PHP.

I’m sure this path can’t be too difficult to crack.
              • 4,149 Posts
              Do 3 dirname() calls instead of 2.
                shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                • 53 Posts
                I have managed to get it installed but I’ve had to hard code the absolute file path using forward slashes but it does work using the 3 dirname() calls too. At the moment I’m getting a blank page again when I try to access the manager. This was happenning on the setup page as well until I got the paths working correctly.

I’ve taken a look in the core/config/config.inc.php file and some of the paths had a mixture of backward and forward slashes. I have changed them to all forward slashes which worked to get the setup process working but still no joy.