We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    I can’t seem to get through the ’/modx-2.0.0-beta/core/cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process.’ message. I managed to install pdo_mysql and now don’t see any PDO related error messages. My core/cache and the index.html file inside all look writable.

Is there something I shall do at some php config file ?
    Shall I make that file writable for any other user ?

I’m testing locally, in a Mac OS X, 10.5.8, Apache 2.2.11, mySQL 5.1.36, PHP 5.2.10

I’m using modx2.0.0 beta 3

-----------
    Sorry if it’s a too "newbie" question.
    -------------

Long story why I want to try modx not being an expert, but it’s for a site with substantial traffic that was made by "hand" and want to have a framework. Loved what I read about modx. Congratulations to ALL the modx team. I come from J!, and was totally hooked after reading the main site page about zero restrictions, xhtml/css/js templates. It was like whoever wrote that wrote if for me. Congratulations. I’ll start donating asap.
    • Can you be more specific on "look writable". The directory has to be writable by the process executing PHP, which is completely dependent on how you have Apache and PHP configured. Are you using MacPorts Apache/PHP or is this a manual installation of this software? What user is Apache running as? We’ll need more info to help.
        • 3 Posts
        Sorry for the lack of info. I meant for "looks writable":
        drwxr-xr-x@ 14 cv cv 476 Sep 25 23:56 core/

I didn’t install Apache/PHP manually, I’m just using the default installs/setting that came with my Mac, and I assume the default settings after all the OS X updates till 10.5.8. I didn’t try login as admin, I’m just trying to run it within my user in OSX (’cv’) . For an hiper-newbie question: I would need (and appreciate very much) some orientation to figure out what user Apache is running as.
        • By default in OS X, I believe Apache runs as _www, but I’m not sure as I use the MacPorts installations. Just chmod the folder to 0777 or add _www as the group and chmod to 0775.
            • 3 Posts
            Thank you very much. I’m running now.
              • 3 Posts
              How did you finally solve the problem "Make sure your / root / www / core / cache directory exists and is writable by the PHP process." What to do? Thanks for the reply.. THX.
                • 1 Posts
                In Ubutu, I resolved this by simply ’chown’ing the cache directory to the Apache2 user: www-data (sudo chown -R www-data cache). Note: When trying the chmod 777 brute force method, I often forget to set the group/other permissions back to read-only after I’ve got it working.
                  • 184 Posts
                  I have same error, even after changing /home/domain/public_html/core with 777 or 755?

[root@centos public_html]# ls -l
                  total 36
                  lrwxrwxrwx  1 domain      domain         4 Aug  7 12:24 awstats-icon -> icon
                  lrwxrwxrwx  1 domain      domain         4 Aug  7 12:24 awstatsicons -> icon
                  -rw-r--r--  1 root        root          99 Jun 25 18:45 config.core.php
                  drwxr-xr-x  4 root        root        4096 Jun 25 18:46 connectors
                  drwxr-xr-x 12 root        root        4096 Jun 25 18:46 core
                  -rw-r--r--  1 root        root        3519 Jun 25 18:45 ht.access
                  drwxr-xr-x  9 domain      domain      4096 Dec  6  2010 icon
                  -rw-r--r--  1 root        root        2497 Jun 25 18:45 index.php
                  drwxr-xr-x  6 root        root        4096 Jun 25 18:46 manager
                  drwxr-xr-x  9        1000        1000 4096 Jun 20 01:19 phpmyadmin
                  drwxr-xr-x  9 root        root        4096 Jun 25 18:46 setup