We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 23 Posts
    Hi,

I’m confused as to the difference between Etomite and MODx. I understand it is is a fork. But is there any join development? Any plans for merging the two?

Etomite was listed at www.opensourcecms.com, then delisted, when, as I understand it, open source development stopped in favor of a commerical version, to be name Boomerang. Something like that. Now, Etomite is again listed at www.opensourcecms.com, while MODx is not.

--kurt
    • MODx is in it’s "Technology Preview" stage. It’s a wholly different application at this point, that so happens to share a common heritage... Without it, MODx would not be here today. MODx was the first major modificiation for Etomite, and was kicked off the Etomite forums by its original (not the current) developers. As I understand it, Ralph and Dean (current developers) have chosen to keep Etomite pretty close to it’s roots, primarily focusing on Manager updates and bug fixes. MODx is a total top-to-bottom overhaul.

The beauty is that MODx maintains the simplicity and user-friendliness of its predecessor, but also makes many more capabilities available out of the box for developers. It offers a more robust application framework for those developers that need it.

When we’ve thoroughly tested and completed the feature development for MODx, we should be listed at opensourcecms.com... but it will be under the official project name and branding, not the workinng project name (MODx).
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Sorry didn’t completely answer all the questions.

There are no plans to merge development with Etomite because of the fundamental differences in the source code.

Metacube - commercial CMS application that will probably have a few things up on MODx as we’ll similarly probably have a few things up on Metacube. Given that however, their licensing only provides full access to the source code when you fork over a couple hundred bucks (give or take). It also is not out yet, and there’s no hard deadline for it coming out.
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 23 Posts
          What about Etomite Snippets and Chunks, do they, will they, work with Modx?
          • They should all work. So there is some level of backward compatibility. Snippets/chunks written specifically for MODx may use API calls not available in Etomite, however, so there won’t be guaranteed reverse compatibility.
              • 23 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Jul 06, 2005, 06:07 PM

Snippets/chunks written specifically for MODx may use API calls not available in Etomite, however, so there won’t be guaranteed reverse compatibility.

Thanks.