We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 13 Posts
    I’m setting up a MODx Revolution site for the first time. Let me just say that while it’s quite intimidating "out of the gate", within a few short hours I am already starting to realize the awesome potential of this system as a rapid application development framework unlike any other.

There is, however, one bug that’s driving me bananas right now. The version in question is MODx Revolution 2.0.0-beta-3, pulled from your website (as opposed to SVN). I have set up my template the way it needs to work, I’ve created a few content categories, and I’ve turned on friendly URLs and friendly aliases. My ".htaccess" file is set up properly, and Apache2 is configured to use it correctly.

For the most part, the aliases are working correctly, in many ways. The home page is functioning accurately without any alias, linking to the root of the domain (that node is not a category). A couple of other pages that ARE categories are correctly showing their sub-pages nested underneath them, and are correctly linking to them as "/category-name/sub-page-name.html" (which is what I was going for). However, the category itself is linking to "/category-name.html" instead of just "/category-name/", and after clicking on it, the links go all bogus (i.e. the category link becomes "/category-name/category-name.html", the link to the sub-page becomes "/category-name/category-name/sub-page-name.html", and other category links become "/category-name/different-root-category.html" instead of just "/different-root-category/").

No idea why it’s doing this. Oh, and before it slips my mind, there was another, somewhat unrelated bug: when you’ve created a category, assign sub-pages to it, and then delete the category, the sub-pages remain (and there’s no way to find them in the regular administrative navigation menu to edit or delete them, as far as I can tell). I had to delete them directly from the database itself, manually. The same holds true when changing a category page that already has sub-categories or sub-pages into a regular, non-category page (the sub-pages just vanish from the back-end, but still exist).

I’d be happy to make the changes myself and post a "diff" patch if anyone can just point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
    -- Crates

I work for Access Technology Group, which lately
      has been selling SOAPware EMR Software as its primary
      business model. We're trying to get into health care.

Drop by the site if you'd like an example of a working,
      robust web site running on MODx Revolution 2.0.0 (beta-3
      at the moment; currently upgrading to beta-4).

If for any reason you need to reach me personally, I am
      Typing at G Mail dot Com. Yes, that's my address.
      It occurs to me that it might be useful to include one other bit of information: my navigational menus are being generated using the WayFinder 2.1.1-beta1 package. If that means I need to look elsewhere for assistance, please simply point me in the right direction. Thanks! wink

Okay, some progress: in the "Friendly URL" area under the "System Settings" section of the back-end, I changed the "Prefix for friendly URLs", "Suffix for friendly URLs" and "container_suffix" values each to read simply "/". Now, the category links are properly rendering as "/category-name/" and their sub-pages as "/category-name/sub-page.html", but ONLY from the root page of the site. When I’m on a sub-page or a category page, I’m still getting the category alias of the page I’m presently viewing prepended to every link except the root page link (which is still accurate).

In other words, everything’s as it should be from the home page, but on any other page, the primary tier category shows up in front of all links except that which links back to the home page. If I’m on "/category-a/" or "/category-a/some-page.html", then my links (going down the line) will look something like "/category-a/category-a/", then "/category-a/category-a/some-page.html", then "/category-a/category-b/" (even though "/category-b/" is supposed to be at the root level), then "/category-a/category-b/some-category-b-page.html", and so on and so forth.

Hope that helps.

If anyone’s interested, I was able to resolve this bug (which I assume is an issue with WayFinder) by adding the "&fullLink=`TRUE`" attribute (which is false by default) into my site’s navigational block reference. The current template variable reference looks like this:

[[Wayfinder? &fullLink=`TRUE` &startId=`0` &level=`2` &outerClass=`primary-nav` &innerClass=`secondary-nav`]]

You can probably ignore the "outerClass" and "innerClass" statements if you’re having the same bug; the "startId=0" just means that I want ALL of the site’s navigational structure, with the exception of anything more than one level deep (as specified by the "&level=`2`" statement).

Keep up the good work, everyone! Can’t wait to see a finished release of Revolution! It makes sense (in my eyes, anyhow) to include something like WayFinder in the core application, but I can’t comment conclusively without seeing the big picture (and it’s hard to know what direction you’re taking everything in when end-user documentation for the Beta is so sparse). In any event, I’ll probably post some more problems and solutions later on as this project progresses.

Cheers! laugh
          -- Crates

• Actually, as with all MODx sites, the behavior you are seeing is because you are not using the <base href="[[!+site_url]]"></base> tag in your templates. It is recommended you use this in all MODx templates. With this, the FULL url option is not necessary.

BTW, friendly_url_prefix and suffix are not used in Revolution and are retained for the purposes of migrations from Evolution. See Content Types for extensions that are added to friendly URLs. Also note that Containers in Revolution use the container_suffix setting for all text/html Content Types.
              • 13 Posts
              Where’s the best place to get thorough documentation on these features? Not having used Evolution, these terms are somewhat foreign to me, and there really isn’t any guide out there to creating a Revolution site properly from start to finish (with navigation, content blocks, snippets, chunks, etc.)
                Name&#39;s Crates. Just Crates is fine.

business model. We&#39;re trying to get into health care.

Drop by the site if you&#39;d like an example of a working,

Typing at G Mail dot Com. Yes, that&#39;s my address.
                  Name&#39;s Crates. Just Crates is fine.

business model. We&#39;re trying to get into health care.

Drop by the site if you&#39;d like an example of a working,

Typing at G Mail dot Com. Yes, that&#39;s my address.
                  Quote from: Crates at Sep 22, 2009, 01:21 PM

Where’s the best place to get thorough documentation on these features? Not having used Evolution, these terms are somewhat foreign to me, and there really isn’t any guide out there to creating a Revolution site properly from start to finish (with navigation, content blocks, snippets, chunks, etc.)

The current MODx Revolution documentation can be found here:

http://docs.modxcms.com/display/revolution/

FYI, the basic concepts (Resources = Documents, Snippets, Chunks, etc) are all still applicable in Revolution.
                    shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                  • Quote from: Crates at Sep 22, 2009, 01:21 PM

You’ll likely need to see some of the beginner tutorials for Evolution to learn the basics for now. Once we have some more documentation contributors to Revolution, that will change.

Quote from: Crates at Sep 22, 2009, 01:24 PM

Also, is there a way to use an (X)HTML template without TinyMCE making the code non-compliant, that you know of?
                    I’m sure there are, but I don’t use TinyMCE or any other rich-text editor so I’ll have to defer to others who do. You can likely find some information to that effect applicable to Evolution or Revolution.