We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,149 Posts
    We’re looking into changing the label for "alias" in Resource editing from alias to "web URL" or something similar. We wanted some thoughts on that from our community.

The issue is here: http://svn.modxcms.com/jira/browse/MODX-1153

Some of the suggestions were:
    - Web URL
    - FURL
    - Friendly URL

The downsides that we’ve noted to those is that users might possibly assume that they need to put a full URL into that textfield. What are your thoughts?
      shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
    • My suggestion is to vote for Friendly URL or I also like Readable URL and Friendly Web URL (<-was poo-pooed as too long.)

We’d love to hear hour opinions.

Cheers,

Jay
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 634 Posts
        Friendly URL it is. Much better for "basic users" than alias.
          Mikko Lammi, Owner at Maagit
        • Friendly URL is pretty self explanatory.
          • Quote from: splittingred at Aug 18, 2009, 01:29 PM

The downsides that we’ve noted to those is that users might possibly assume that they need to put a full URL into that textfield. What are your thoughts?
            Another important thing to consider is that "alias" is pretty pervasive in all the existing documentation, code and a bazillion forum posts.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 51 Posts
              Quote from: rthrash at Aug 18, 2009, 01:51 PM

Quote from: splittingred at Aug 18, 2009, 01:29 PM

Another important thing to consider is that "alias" is pretty pervasive in all the existing documentation, code and a bazillion forum posts.

I personally think ’alias’ still is a better term than all of the new ones mentioned above.
              If you feel like you really need to change it, I’d go with page_alias or friendly_name. Like you said: friendly_url would make one think that they need to insert an entire URL.
                • 964 Posts
                To be able to search the past docs I would vote for FURL-alias
                  MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
                  • 1,390 Posts
                  I like the friendly_name suggested by Paz...but I prefer friendly_page_name...though it is long sad

cheers/k
                    • 51 Posts
                    Quote from: kongondo at Aug 18, 2009, 03:00 PM

I like the friendly_name suggested by Paz...but I prefer friendly_page_name...though it is long sad

cheers/k

That’s also why I opted friendly_name instead of friendly_page_name as well. wink
                      • 69 Posts
                      I prefer alias as well - of course I’m not a "basic" user. I think it’s a more frequently-used term across CMSes and the web in general.

Possibly update the supporting the help text with a better explanation or example of what an alias is? Once the concept is understood you’re pretty much set. "Basic" users aren’t basic forever.