We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,624 Posts
    Hi,

I would like to start creating some simple components just get a fill of how it works. At first glance, the tutorial here seems a bit to complicated and not really clear .

Is there another tutorial?

Thank You

• 4,149 Posts
      Not currently; what specifically are you confused about in the tutorial? We can help clarify.
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 1,624 Posts
        Compared to the old way of creating snippets and plug-ins which can be resumed in 2 3 steps the new way is quite complex.
        I understand why there is a need for complexity. I was only interested in a different tutorial that might be a bit simple.

For example I was trying to create the ParentParent plug-in which basically is based on UltimateParent. I thought that by modifying the UltimateParent I would create the new plugin (which might be possible) but it’s not the right way.

Anyway I’ll have a look as soon as I have some time and mood for it.

• 4,149 Posts
          Quote from: Cipa at Jul 26, 2009, 08:11 PM

Compared to the old way of creating snippets and plug-ins which can be resumed in 2 3 steps the new way is quite complex.
          I understand why there is a need for complexity. I was only interested in a different tutorial that might be a bit simple.
          For example I was trying to create the ParentParent plug-in which basically is based on UltimateParent. I thought that by modifying the UltimateParent I would create the new plugin (which might be possible) but it’s not the right way.

You can still do everything the old way. For your example, you can still create a Plugin, enter the code, and go from there.

That tutorial shows how to create Transport Packages, which are zip files compiled of lots of different things - from Elements, to Resources, to actual files. They are used to quickly and easily download and install Components. They are not, however, necessary for a Component to function. They just help automate the install/uninstall process and provide more advanced Component maintenance functionality.

You can still install and uninstall plugins/snippets/whatever the old way. It just takes longer, like it used to. smiley
            shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com