We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    Hi sotwell and BobRay ... thanks for your previous help; I think I'm getting somewhere...

So an update to my former issue. I've now installed ModX on our production web server instead to see whether the same issues were arising as my development server.

I created a table within my modxrevolution database and was able to connect to it and read data from the table, displaying it on screen thru a PHP page. So, success for a connection via PHP.

However, I am still only getting thru to the "Connection Information, Database connection and login information" page ... and when I click the "Test database server connection and view collations." it just sits there with "Connecting to database server:".

Any further pointers...? smiley

Thanks for your help,
    Simon
      • 9 Posts
      Quote from: simondarcey at Oct 01, 2013, 03:24 AM
      Hi sotwell and BobRay ... thanks for your previous help; I think I'm getting somewhere...

So an update to my former issue. I've now installed ModX on our production web server instead to see whether the same issues were arising as my development server.

I created a table within my modxrevolution database and was able to connect to it and read data from the table, displaying it on screen thru a PHP page. So, success for a connection via PHP.

However, I am still only getting thru to the "Connection Information, Database connection and login information" page ... and when I click the "Test database server connection and view collations." it just sits there with "Connecting to database server:".

Thanks for your help,
      Simon

PS: this may help narrow it down; I can successfully connect using the ADO connection object:
      $conn = new COM ("ADODB.Connection") or die("Cannot start ADO");

Yet can't connect using:
      $dbhandle = mssql_connect($myServer, $myUser, $myPass) or die("Couldn't connect to SQL Server on $myServer");

How can I get around this for the MODX DB set up screen?
        • 9 Posts
        Quote from: simondarcey at Oct 01, 2013, 03:36 AM
        Quote from: simondarcey at Oct 01, 2013, 03:24 AM

Thanks for your help,
        Simon

PS: this may help narrow it down; I can successfully connect using the ADO connection object:
        $conn = new COM ("ADODB.Connection") or die("Cannot start ADO");

Yet can't connect using:
        $dbhandle = mssql_connect($myServer, $myUser, $myPass) or die("Couldn't connect to SQL Server on $myServer");

How can I get around this for the MODX DB set up screen?

Sorry for the multiple posts, guys ... I've been at this for 2 days now, just trying to get it going!

I have now managed to get a PHP connection using:

So SQL server is playing ball properly. But I still can't get passed the "Connection Information" page on the MODX installation page.

Help please....
        Thanks,
        Simon
          • 24,544 Posts
          Are you setting the database type to mssql during Setup (I think it's under "advanced" for a new site)? It defaults to MySQL.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 9 Posts
            Hi BobRay - thanks for your reply.

I'm setting it to 'sqlsrv' from the 'Database type' drop-down list on the 'Connection Information' screen. See attached screen shot; there doesn't appear to be an 'Advanced' option for a new site. I've tested the displayed database variables in a PHP connection and they all work fine.

Other thoughts? Thanks again.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Take a look at the first line of the core/config/config.inc.php file (assuming that Setup got far enough along to write to the file).
                My MODX Extras
                • 9 Posts
                Thanks BobRay. Nope, set up didn't get that far (ie. the file hasn't been written to). The file has write permissions.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Sorry, I'm out of ideas. sad
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 9 Posts
                    Thanks for your help, BobRay.

Anyone else able suggest anything? smiley

I've even turned off Windows Firewall to test whether that was preventing the connection; but alas still not able to get passed the Database Information screen.