We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 387 Posts
    Solved - I missed a setting in config.inc.php (see post below)

OK - this must be something stupid but I’ve tried and I must just be missing something simple.

I have two installs of 2.1rc4(trad) hosted on 1and1 - in one of them TinyMCE does not show on the page - it is as if it not installed - the second (older) install works perfectly (same server - though different database). I also have an install on my laptop working correctly!

I wouldn’t care except the site which is working is my personal site and TinyMCE is only there for me to check it out - I don’t like to use it; and of course the site that is not working I will at some point hand over to my client and an wysiwyg editor would be nice.

Any ideas where to look.

I have tried reinstalling, and uninstalling/removing the package, re-downloading and re-installing multiple times (well at least twice) - checked all the settings, turned on and off - cleared the cache, with the button and manually - and ...

1and1 enviro: MySQL 5.091, client MySQL 5.092, PDO 5.0.92, PHP5.2.17 and my Laptop: MySQL 5.1.44, client 5.1.44, PDO 5.1.44, PHP5.2.13
      • 24 Posts
      Check if the <script> stuff is included in the html head section.

Look in the modx error log if there are any tinymce entries and check the php/apache(?) error log.

And you could check with Opera Dragonfly of Firefoy Firebug if there are any JS errors.
        • 387 Posts
        Thanks for the clue

The script stuff is there - by that I mean that there is a script tag in the header - but the path is wrong - the path should start /assets/ but is starting /newsite/assets/ so it is not loading the scripts...

So I just need to figure out where it is getting this from

This is probably left over from developing the site in a directory under an existing site, so the URL was ’someURL.com/newsite/’ which after I registered a new URL became just http://firstpresbybarnesville.org - I had to change a few settings and the .htaccess file to get everything working - somehow TinyMCE didn’t get the message!
          • 387 Posts
          I missed one of the settings in core/config/config.inc.php

$modx_assets_url= ’/assets/’ was $modx_assets_url= ’/newsite/assets/’

It works now.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Did you do an upgrade Setup at the new site? That’s supposed to straighten out those paths.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 387 Posts
              No
              I installed 2.1rc4
              and set up the site, put most of the content in etc while I was waiting for a new Domain Name to be activated

I then pointed the domain name to the site and changed various settings (FURLs, site url, .htaccess and so on) As I said I even changed some settings in the config.inc.php file but missed one.

I did not think to try an update - I guess because I did not need an update, I was already on the latest software.

I’ll try an update next time.
                • 24,544 Posts
                It’s always a good idea to re-install when you change servers. Setup checks and usually corrects any bad paths.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting