We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Template Variables are linked to templates - they have a relationship. If you secure the template, you will secure the template variables.

Not a bug, but intended behavior that is easily overlooked wink

(I guess)
      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
      • 121 Posts
      Martijn van Turnhout Reply #12, 13 years ago
      Hmm. This is bad.

So, suppose I have a shared TV. Say [[*customtitle]].

• I want to link this TV to "Homepage" template and "NormalPage" template
      • I want to prevent the client from gaining access to "Homepage" template. Therefore, I’ll have to put it in a category to which only I have access to. For example.
      • However, if the client logs in the CMS and wants to modify a page that’s using the "Homepage" template, he’ll see no Template Variables tag. So I’ll have to put all the TVs linked to the Homepage template in the same category as well, right?
      • I haven’t tried the previous step yet, but suppose that works: does it mean that the client won’t have access to [[*customtitle]] when it’s linked to pages using other templates?

• 121 Posts
        Martijn van Turnhout Reply #13, 13 years ago
        Let me reply to myself here tongue

• I’ve put the "Homepage" template in the category to which only Administrators have access to.
        • I log in as a Client and I don’t see the "Homepage" template appearing in the [[*template]] dropdown list on other pages. That’s good. However, 1 page that’s already been published using the "Homepage" template is missing the Template Variables tab. That’s bad.
        • You see, I’m thinking of the functionality of Evolution’s ManagerManager plugin here. I want to prevent the client from selecting certain templates, but on the other hand: the client should be able to access pages which have already been published using the "Homepage" template, for example.
        • I’m not sure if the following step is even necessary, but I’ve already tried putting linked TVs in the same category. I log in as Admin again and put a shared TV, linked to the "Homepage" template and "NormalPage" template, in the same category as the "Homepage" template. Now, when I’m using the CMS as a Client, this TV does not appear in any template! The "Homepage" template is still lacking the TV tab and the "NormalPage" template isn’t showing the TV either. That last part seems intended though. I’ve tried the same now with a non-shared TV, linked only to the "Homepage" template, and it’s the same result: no TV tab showing.

So, unless I’m mistaken, it’s a bug.
        • I log in as a Client and I don’t see the "Homepage" template appearing in the dropdown list on other pages. That’s good. However, 1 page that’s already been published using the "Homepage" template is lacking the Template Variables tab. That’s bad.

So you want them to not be able of selecting it - but be able of using it when it was already selected?

From my technical point of view that seems to conflict. You should not be able to use it if you can’t select it...

If you put the TV itself in a category the client doesn’t have access to (your 3rd bullet point) it would seem to me the effect you get is what is expected...
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 121 Posts
            Martijn van Turnhout Reply #15, 13 years ago
            I’m not a programmer, so I won’t be able to discuss this in-depth, but simply put: I’m used to the freedom of the awesome ManagerManager-plugin for Evolution. It’s capable of all the things I’ve discussed so far, albeit mostly through jQuery show/hide commands.

Revolution is nearly capable of doing the same things, but unfortunately, this is one of the rare exceptions. Now, I’m still convinced my wish can be fulfilled. There has been another bug reported, regarding FC, templates and missing TV tabs. http://bugs.modx.com/issues/4441. So in my opinion, the missing TV tab-bug isn’t an isolated case.

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree here. wink