We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    Hi All,

I am a long time Evo user and part-time Revo dabbler. I have strong photography, design, CSS and HTML skills. I can’t program or write PHP to escape a wet paper bag though.

With Evo I have managed to build galleries using MaxiGallery and added jQuery box scripts. My initial tests with adding images and videos in Revo have not gone as well. I have not tried this recently but in the past I have struggled with getting Gallery to function at all. At the time it seemed like there were very few step-by-step tutorials on implementing image Galleries. Rather, what I found were many threads that included heavy under the hood coding questions? What I want is a means of directly managing my page content rather than researching different custom coding practices. It could be just me but my reaction to Revo and image management was that its not quite ready for primetime?

I am not sure if this changed? Is Gallery still the go-to image portfolio system for Revo? Is there anything new that performs like MaxiGallery? Are their any new jQuery solutions? How about videos? Is there a way of pulling in say Vimeo Albums that contain videos that have been added via the Vimeo front end?

And the big question: are there any great guides, videos, tutorials, etc, that walk the user through getting a good image/video gallery system working? I know this must seem like one long run-on sentence question. But, what is the current state of the playing-field when it comes to presenting image content using Revo?

Thanks!
    • I created nivoGallery which is basically nivoSlider but with full customization via MODx Template Variables in the manager and I’m working on prettyGallery which is a prettyPhoto implementation into MODx using the same concept of customization via template variables in MODx.

I hope to release prettyGallery sometime next week if all goes as planned so follow me on twitter or check this post for the latest info.
        Benjamin Marte
        Interactive Media Developer
        Follow Me on Twitter | Visit my site | Learn MODX
      • I think there’s basically two real gallery solutions, depending on what you’re looking for.

There’s Gallery which are standalone galleries (similar to MaxiGallery iirc) that you can call using Snippets - pretty sure you’re comfortable with snippets, right? By using the Gallery snippet with the thumbTpl (and containerTpl) property you can change the way images are presented - in such a way to work with the gallery solution (jQuery, prettyPhoto, nivo etc) you want to use.

If you have images per resource (similar to EvoGallery) I prefer to use MIGX, or MultiItemsGridTV. It’s a TV input type that you can configure using JSON syntax (see json.org) to provide a grid/table with multiple items in one TV. It comes with a snippet to "decode" the TVs value, again using tpl properties giving you the possibility to create the markup you need. Setting up MIGX properly takes a bit more time (especially if you’re not familiar with JSON that can be confusing) but it works quite well for end users.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.