We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,118 Posts
    Hi guys,

I am attempting to create a reduced permissions user role for a site I am doing for a client. The client just needs to be able to view the Resources tree and file manager ONLY - nothing else - The "Content Editor" Access policy seems to be ideal here... but when I use this for the new user group i have made - when you login as this user the Resources tree is empty - also the file manager does not work.. trying to create a new document brings back an error... Any ideas where this has gone wrong???

Cheers,

dubbs
      • 1,118 Posts
      UPDATE

OK - I have got the user to access the resources now... I needed a WEB based Context Access rule...

The Main thing now not working is that the user can not use the File manager / browser to explore files on the server / upload new images etc???? Any ideas????
        • 24,544 Posts
        The Content Editor policy does not enable permissions for files or directories.

Duplicate that policy (call it MyContentEditor). The set MyContentEditor as the policy for the user’s Context Access ACL entry for the mgr context.

Then edit the MyContentEditor policy and check the permissions you want them to have that start with file_ or directory_.

Save the policy.

Then flush permissions and flush all sessions.

FYI, the reason for duplicating the policy rather than just modifying it is that the modifications would be overwritten when you upgrade MODX.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 1,118 Posts
          Thanks Bob - got that all up and running now! Many thanks for your input here - it makes a lot more sense now I have worked through the security settings many many times trying to get it to work! ;]

P.S. Have you ever encountered any odditiy on new roles and their connection with tinyMCE? I am having a problem here - http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,67560.msg379684.html#msg379684 that has now baffled me!

Cheers,

dubbs
            • 24,544 Posts
            I haven’t used TinyMCE for a while, so I haven’t encountered that one.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 37 Posts
              I’m trying to do exactly the same thing, using MODX Revolution 2.2.2-pl (traditional), PHP 5.2.13 and MySQL 5.0.9.

No matter what I do the resource tree is not present for the user with this new editor role? I may well be wrong but it is looking like a bug to me! The Resources tab exists but there’s no tree underneath.

The latest Context Access settings I have tried for the new Content Editor user are:

web => Super User - 0 => Editor
              mgr => Super User - 0 => My Content Editor
              web => Super User - 0 => Administrator
              mgr => Editor - 9 => Editor

The ‘Editor’ Access Policy is a duplicate of Administrator but with access_permissions and element_tree removed. I’ve read the docs and still really finding it hard to get my head around the need for both Access Policies and Roles. Have I done something wrong here? Maybe someone can confirm they have this working in this latest version of modx revo? [ed. note: 2byte last edited this post 11 years, 11 months ago.]
                • 37 Posts
                Hmm, not sure what happened there but got it to work at last. Think it may have been adding the new policy to the main admin account also!