We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,336 Posts
    So, was Provisioner a help here or not? Ok, it won’t help you with your custom tables but in general did you use the evolution import feature? Please write up your experiences , detailing what specific probs you had and how you overcame them, you can raise a ticket on Provisioner in github for this so I can track it, I can then better document this maybe, ta.
      Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
    • I didn’t use provisioner. I just exported all of my site tables in sql format and imported them directly into the new database. I was somewhat surprised that this worked, actually, I was expecting it to be harder, but it worked fine.

The really tricky part was rewriting my own snippets, and also converting all of my Ditto calls to GetResources -- I know, Ditto does exist for Revo, but it appears to be deprecated and I wanted to move to GetResources as it seems more flexible.
        • 28 Posts
        Quote from: esnyder at Dec 22, 2010, 05:33 PM

I recently upgraded my main site to Revo, I’m very glad I did it and I’m loving the power of the new system, but the upgrade process is not trivial and I have a couple of recommendations:

-Do not try it on a live site. It is likely that some features will break and there is somewhat of a learning curve involved in fixing them, so it may take you a while to get back up and running. Copy your site onto a subdomain or some other development environment and perform the upgrade there, and then once you have everything working move it back onto the main domain.

-I found it was easier to install a clean copy of Revo on my dev subdomain and then import the content, rather than trying to actually run the upgrade script.

-You will need to familiarize yourself with PHPMyAdmin or whatever SQL tool you use. You’ll probably need it. Export your old database tables and import them into your clean copy of Revo. This means you have to know which tables actually contain your content, but that should be pretty easy to figure out just by poking around in the database.

-Don’t try to update your tags by hand. Run search/replace SQL queries directly on the database to do the character substitutions listed in Bob’s guide (cited in the rtfm).

-Be prepared to rewrite any custom snippets you have, and to rewrite or upgrade any third-party snippets and plugins you use. This means learning the new API but XPDO is so awesome that learning it is a worthwhile and fun exercise in itself.

YMMV. This is the way I did it and it worked out for me, but like I said it’s not easy and be prepared for setbacks and problems.

That said, it’s totally worth it. Revo rocks.

Hey, I have Revo on another site so I already know how to use it more or less, but I have Evo on a different site.
        I want to upgrade my Evo site to Revo and the subdomain variant seems most convenient.
        How would I go about installing MODx on a subdomain? And after I have it all polished on the subdomain, how do I completely wipe the Evo install and import the Revo install?
        Sorry for the basic questions, I am pretty noob at this stuff.