We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    I am going to install MODx Revolution 2.0.0-beta-1, will a upgrade patch be released to upgrade it to RC1, stable final etc...

Thanks a lot.
      • 4,149 Posts
      Quote from: taltos1 at Jun 04, 2009, 04:03 PM

I am going to install MODx Revolution 2.0.0-beta-1, will a upgrade patch be released to upgrade it to RC1, stable final etc...

Yes. All Revolution upgrade paths are migrateable. Furthermore, the setup/ process of Revolution does version-specific upgrading; meaning, if you’re at beta-1 and upgrading to rc2, and there’s a beta2,beta3, and rc1 in between that (as well as all the alphas), it will only apply the updates for beta1,beta2, and rc1. It will not apply the alpha updates, since you already have those.

Also, it will do upgrade checks depending on what distribution of Revolution you downloaded, as well.
        shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
        • 12 Posts
        Great. Thanks so much. By the way, I adore Modx. I have been a designer for years and simply love the things it can do.
          • 256 Posts
          Can I upgrade 0.9.6.3 to revolution beta 2? or do I need to do a clean install for revolution?
            PM me to find out how you can get a FREE ipad 2!
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: joshlfisher at Jul 24, 2009, 09:32 PM

Can I upgrade 0.9.6.3 to revolution beta 2? or do I need to do a clean install for revolution?

The ability to upgrade directly from 0.9.6 to Revolution is planned for the future but isn’t available now so a clean install of Revolution followed by migrating the content is necessary.

Here’s some information that may help: http://bobsguides.com/migrating-revolution.html
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 4 Posts

Quote from: BobRay at Jul 24, 2009, 11:05 PM

The ability to upgrade directly from 0.9.6 to Revolution is planned for the future but isn’t available now so a clean install of Revolution followed by migrating the content is necessary.

Here’s some information that may help: http://bobsguides.com/migrating-revolution.html

Has this by any chance been done yet? Any way to convert 0.9 up to Revolution?
                • 24,544 Posts
                Still not done, AFAIK, but the the Provisioner add-on for both Evolution and Revolution is an option for moving some things (e.g., documents, and I think chunks, templates, and users -- haven’t used it) from Evo to Revo.

I suspect that any official migration tool will migrate everything but roles and permissions, which really have to be redone by the user depending on his or her needs. User groups and resource groups may also be hard to migrate because there is no separation in Revo between web users and manager users or between web resource groups and manager user groups.

No migration tool, IMO, will handle custom DB tables or user-created snippets.

For sites with just one user, the migration should be fairly complete, however. I’m hoping to migrate Bob’s Guides to Revolution before too long, and once that’s done (or maybe during the process), I may take a crack at a migration tool.
                  My MODX Extras
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  I did migrate without too much trouble. I used Provisioner, but still had to adjust some paths manually. Some of my custom snippets had to be rewritten, but the content, files, templates, chunks, TVs, etc. all ported smoothly. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to build a tutorial while I was at it.
                    My MODX Extras