We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    I must say I never see so much energy in an opensource project like this one!

Modx built upon Etomite raw power and bring it to a next level which I am very impress so far.

In my opinion in order to bring Modx to the mass it needs more, it needs to be so easy to extend that a dummy can do it!

Here are the things that I think will take Modx closer to that objective:
    . With the vast snippet library of Etomite Modx needs to keep the Etomite support (bring in the Etomite users)
    . Modx need to finalize on the terminology whether decide to stay as it is today or something more user friendly but the decision need to be made and implemented (Bring in the mass developers)
    . QuickEdit is a good start but the real features that bring Modx to the mass is the user ability to edit,publish,unpublished,delete from the frontend (Bring in the mass average users including business type, artist type and geek alike)
    . Manager is great but most people familiar with Control Panel and installer. So it would be great to have an application installer for snippet, modules,tempates, etc. Note this installer is different than the installer to do the install of Modx CMS. (Bring in the mass!)
    . With the application installer it will help to keep the core small and user can download any plugins whether it is snippet, modules, etc and install it themself. The zip of the Modx TP is getting very BIG to download and upload to the server!

So in summary, with the above features added Modx will become focus of energy like electricity and the application installer will be like the AC outlet where a dummy can plug in any appliances that the user want to add themself.

Just my 2 cents!

• With the vast snippet library of Etomite Modx needs to keep the Etomite support (bring in the Etomite users)
      0.6 compatibility is a given, which means the vast majority of Eto sites will be easy to port. Post that may or may not happen. I’d rather focus time and energies on making MODx a better solution for a wider audience that addressing a relatively small niche. For example, I think the potential for chasing Mambo and/or *Nuke users (or developers who’ve been rolling their own custom solutions, for that matter), and better helping them transition to MODx represents an exponentially larger opportunity.

Modx need to finalize on the terminology whether decide to stay as it is today or something more user friendly but the decision need to be made and implemented (Bring in the mass developers)
      That will be in TP4, if not announced in the forums before then.

QuickEdit is a good start but the real features that bring Modx to the mass is the user ability to edit,publish,unpublished,delete from the frontend (Bring in the mass average users including business type, artist type and geek alike)
      QE is only a demonstration of what can be done and no feature complete. We have to balance featuritis with usability though. Sometimes less really is more.

Manager is great but most people familiar with Control Panel and installer.
      I assume you mean the word, "Manager". I tend to agree. "Control Panel" is more readily recognizable to me anyway with something more people are familiar with, much like hosting platform "Control Panels".

So it would be great to have an application installer for snippet, modules,tempates, etc. Note this installer is different than the installer to do the install of Modx CMS. (Bring in the mass!)

With the application installer it will help to keep the core small and user can download any plugins whether it is snippet, modules, etc and install it themself.  The zip of the Modx TP is getting very BIG to download and upload to the server!
      The upcoming first-run installer/upgrader and the internal installer within the control panel is going to knock your socks off! How about being able to perform a complete upgrade or install of the system by uploading just a few files of say, no more than 50KB, and quite possibly much smaller than that? That’s all I’m going to say! laugh
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1 Posts
        For sure you will get php-nuke hacker with the type of power that Modx provides.

With the application installer you then will appeal to the Mambo bunch!

It is good to hear that is comming and I am looking forward to it!