We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Out of all the CMS that I am exposed to, Tiki is the only one that I can recall is the easiest to do the upgrade!

This is a typical upgrade that I did for Tiki:
    . Save the old tiki (just in case)
    . Replace or create new Tiki from the archive
    . Copy the config from previous install
    . Run any upgrade script that was changed in the schema if there is any which is rarely happen!
    . It is done!

The point that I am trying to make is the tiki database contain only content no logic no code, everything is in the file system. When I need to add an new plugin, extention, games, etc I just need to unzip to the appropriate folder then tiki will pick up the next time it run and detect it automatically like magic!

Please share your view!

What do you think?

Thanks
    • I love the idea personally. smiley

Dropping in a file and being done with it is very enticing.

However, I think we can go one step further. Check the SVN and explore the bootstrap installer and the build agent that Victor committed last night... it’s incredibly impressive and bodes well for our future installs.

For reference, with Victor’s "Bootstrap" installer, you upload a tiny 3kb file and point your browser at it and it takes care of the rest, doing server-to-server downloads, uncompression of .zip files and more!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 680 Posts
        Quote from: rthrash at Aug 25, 2005, 02:49 PM

For reference, with Victor’s "Bootstrap" installer, you upload a tiny 3kb file and point your browser at it and it takes care of the rest, doing server-to-server downloads, uncompression of .zip files and more!

That’s awesome! I’m going to have to see this work.

We could have long list of templates, modules, plugins, default configurations, etc during the install and it would only download what it needed. Very cool!
        • The build agent he built (requires Perl... he’s a Perl fiend!) is even more impressive. Prompts for build name, checks out the lastest trunk, adds the revision number to it, creates a zip archive of it, creates an MD5 checksum, builds a bootstrap installer for it, creates the MD5 checksum for that, and (not quite yet, but will) uploads to wherever you need them to go. Toss on a cron tab and we get automated nightly builds smiley.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 680 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Aug 25, 2005, 03:23 PM

The build agent he built (requires Perl... he’s a Perl fiend!) is even more impressive. Prompts for build name, checks out the lastest trunk, adds the revision number to it, creates a zip archive of it, creates an MD5 checksum, builds a bootstrap installer for it, creates the MD5 checksum for that, and (not quite yet, but will) uploads to wherever you need them to go. Toss on a cron tab and we get automated nightly builds smiley.

That’s insane!

I’m not worthy. I’m not worthy. laugh
              • 577 Posts
              oh sh-t!!!

nice!
                Tangent-Warrior smiley