We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    Ok, just wanted to put out a disclaimer in case I’ve accidently offended anybody.

I am a complete newbie when in comes to etomite/modx. I’ve played with various *nukes and have my hands pretty dirty after using oscommerce however, this system is still causing comprehension problems for me.

I guess this is why I’ve been posting all kinds of wacko posts, off the wall ideas and such.

On the bright side, you’re all getting a good view of what is happening with a person with some programming skills, and various experiences with other scripts. I knew that modx was going to be a completely different experience in many ways but ... phew. This is pretty amazing stuff.

I wonder if others have gone through the same process?

With different comments and reactions I’m very positive that modx will become that much better for it!

Cheers all and peace!
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
    • LOL

Keep up the great feedback Carsten. I really want to address a lot of usability and "intuition" issues prior to teh official 1.0 release.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 3,975 Posts
        ditto !!
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • Indeed, it’s a common complaint in the OSS world that software and documentation is developed for the developers and not for users! It’s easy for the developer to forget that things that are obvious and intuitive to him are Greek to anybody else. Feedback is good. Off-the-wall ideas are good. Gets us out of the rut we may have gotten ourselves into. How often does somebody come up with a great idea simply because he didn’t know that "you can’t do that"?
            Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
            Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
            Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
            • 1,131 Posts
            I think we all have our stories about our first experiences with Eto..<COUGH!> MODx. I remember searching high and low for an easy to use CMS that could do everything that I wanted it to do: forum integration, link directory, news and article posting, etc. My problem was that all the ones I tried seemed to all have their fair share of shortcomings. Mambo, though it looked cool and had a robust developer community, just seemed too bloated to me and didn’t make sense with all the lingo (What the hell is a Mambot anyways?). I was almost on the verge of using Subdreamer...but I frowned on the cost of it and, after reviewing a nulled copy, found it to be too restrictive. I just kept going back to MODx.

Although it took a little time to get my head wrapped around it, I’ve found MODx to be the most flexible CMS out there. And what you see here is just the tip of the iceberg. With modules, plugins, and the like, MODx can’t get anything but better. My goal is to have a CMS that I can write custom functions like link directory modules and the like. With MODx, that possibility is just right around the corner. wink
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
              • 1 Posts
              this is funny really after being a core programer and lead dev for a few different projects and more recently contributing to integramod and writing mods for phpbb I find this to be a dream come true.

I have used, tried most out there and even mambo was more or less what I considered a mess. Wordpress although nice and good at what it does always seemed to be a little to limited. Others like b2evolution for some reason dont seem to impress me. tikiwiki is very nice and has some finctionality as do other wikis I would like to see in modx. Like when logged in being able to edit the page directly without going to the manager.

When I started using modx it was a reliefe to most things out there. Especially the nukes. Things are so easy and at least for me I found them to be intuitive. I guess to others it would simply be another app with allot of options and that may make it harder. I think a nice wiki type thing though for adding pages and editing pages without going to manager would make this allot more freindly for end users.
              • I completely agree Brook, and I think that that should be doable via some relatively simple development (at least that’s what Raymond says!). laugh
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 577 Posts
                  Ok, time for a wishlist forum.

How about a temporary GUI forum too?
                    Tangent-Warrior smiley