We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    With many people installing the SVN alpha, we could really use a set of detailed steps somewhere (the Wiki?) on how to update a remote site after doing an SVN update and install on a local machine. I need to do it but I’m not completely sure how and definitely don’t want to mess up the live site. My situation is complicated by the fact that the remote site has some of the directories moved and/or renamed (e.g. /manager) and the local site doesn’t (I know, dumb mistake).
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
    • Sorry, your question is a little confusing to me. You’ve installed from SVN on a local machine, but you want to update the remote site? What are you wishing to update - something from the local site to the remote site?
        Mike Schell
        Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
        Email: [email protected]
        GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
        Twitter: @mkschell
      • You should just be able to update your core directory (wherever it may live), upload the new core.transport.zip you created in your local copy, and uncheck the files already extracted and files already in place checkboxes when running the upgrade. You’ll need to make sure though that all of the directories and files (other than those from the core) are writable by the PHP process, or this method will fail and you’ll need to manually update the remaining directories based on where you placed them.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: netProphET at May 07, 2009, 02:49 PM

Sorry, your question is a little confusing to me. You’ve installed from SVN on a local machine, but you want to update the remote site? What are you wishing to update - something from the local site to the remote site?

Good question. SVN is a moving target, so if you create a local site and a remote site from SVN, you’ll later want to upgrade the local site to a new build, then update the remote site.
            My MODX Extras
            • 24,544 Posts
            Quote from: OpenGeek at May 07, 2009, 07:17 PM

You should just be able to update your core directory (wherever it may live), upload the new core.transport.zip you created in your local copy, and uncheck the files already extracted and files already in place checkboxes when running the upgrade. You’ll need to make sure though that all of the directories and files (other than those from the core) are writable by the PHP process, or this method will fail and you’ll need to manually update the remaining directories based on where you placed them.

Thanks. Can I always assume that any updating needed in the DB will be done by the upgrade install?
              My MODX Extras
              • 4,149 Posts
              splittingred Reply #6, 15 years ago
              Quote from: BobRay at May 07, 2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks. Can I always assume that any updating needed in the DB will be done by the upgrade install?

Yes. The setup installer has version-specific upgrade scripts that run each time. Anytime we make a commit to Revo that will affect the DB, we add scripts to setup to accommodate for it.
                shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com
                • 24,544 Posts
                Quote from: splittingred at May 07, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote from: BobRay at May 07, 2009, 08:57 PM

Yes. The setup installer has version-specific upgrade scripts that run each time. Anytime we make a commit to Revo that will affect the DB, we add scripts to setup to accommodate for it.

Some of my Revo sites don’t get upgraded very often. Is there a danger of missing the build that updates the DB?
                  My MODX Extras
                • Quote from: BobRay at May 08, 2009, 04:06 AM

Some of my Revo sites don’t get upgraded very often. Is there a danger of missing the build that updates the DB?
                  In between SVN commits, there is always a slight risk that something gets committed and the db updates are incorrect, but between official releases there should not be a problem.
                    • 4,149 Posts
                    splittingred Reply #9, 15 years ago
                    Quote from: BobRay at May 08, 2009, 04:06 AM

Well, it looks at what you have; so no. It will upgrade up to the version you have, so you dont have to run it every time there’s a DB build update. It will do all the db updates that you havent applied (or that match the version).
                      shaun mccormick | bigcommerce mgr of software engineering, former modx co-architect | github | splittingred.com