We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I just committed some significant changes to our session handling code in the trunk so we can control some of the settings from the config file, as well as provide a custom session handling class (via XPDO) to store sessions in the database. MODx will still work as is, without XPDO for MODx 0.9.5 and the custom session handling class, but I’m sure you all want to try out the new database-controlled session capabilities.
    wink

So, there are just a few simple steps to using the custom database session handling, which will also give you a preliminary look at an object-oriented API built with XPDO for all the current MODx 0.9.5 database tables. This API is far from exhaustive, but provides at least some centralized functionality now, and can easily be extended to handle more before we release 0.9.5. But without further ado, here are the steps to configure the new modSessionHandler class, as well as the XPDO for 0.9.5 Preview in the process:

NEW INSTALLATION

• export or checkout MODx from SVN trunk (revision 1196 or above)
    • extract the contents of the attached xpdo-095-20060728.zip file into the root of your MODx installation
    • run the new installation process
    • set the value of $modx_session_handler in your config.inc.php to ’modx095.modSessionHandler’ (example line is commented in the new config.inc.php)

UPGRADE INSTALLATION

• export or checkout MODx from SVN trunk (revision 1196 or above) and run the upgrade installation process. Running the upgrade will change the contents of your config.inc.php file so this step is necessary.
    • extract the contents of the attached xpdo-095-20060728.zip file into the root of your MODx installation
    • change the following lines of your /manager/includes/config.inc.php by removing the comment // in front (uncomment it):
    //$modx_session_handler= 'modx095.modSessionHandler';

That’s it. Start up MODx as usual, and you should have sessions in your database instead of the filesystem; look for a table called {table_prefix}session, which will be created the first time a session is created once modSessionHandler is configured properly. And to disable it, just set $modx_session_handler = ’’ again.

You might also notice that you can set the values of two constants in the new config.inc.php file:

• MODX_SESSION_GC_MAXLIFETIME will determine the number of seconds before a session record expires and should be garbage collected; when using modx095.modSessionHandler, this is controlled without affecting the php ini setting, otherwise it attempts the ini_set(’session.gc_maxlifetime’, MODX_SESSION_GC_MAXLIFETIME)... [Default is 60*60*24*14, or 14 days]
    • MODX_SESSION_COOKIE_LIFETIME will determine how many seconds before the session cookie expires and a user visiting will be forced to get a new session... [Default is 60*60*24*7, or 7 days; 0 means cookie is removed when browser is closed]

That’s enough for now (I think I covered the major points anyway). Let me know if you run into any pitfalls, or just have questions about this. I’ll post updates to the XPDO-powered API along with example add-ons that use it very soon.
      • 1,097 Posts
      *applauds*

Not tried it yet, but even a partial introduction of XPDO is a major step for MODx-kind.
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
      • Found one issue this morning; accidentally reintroduced code in postProcess() function in DocumentParser class that called log(), which was removed in a previous commit. This has been removed and checked in, so the revision to test with from SVN is 1195 now. Editing original post to reflect this.

If you already set this up with revision 1193, the only change is to the document.parser.class.inc.php file.
        • I just updated the instructions above to reflect the process a bit... now I’m logged into the manager and plan to leave it open for an hour or so... just to see what happens... wink
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • Excellent new Session mojo... it’s nice for being able to not loose your work if you’re working on a page and don’t hit the 20-ish minute logout. smiley

One thing I wonder... can we do the same thing as Basecamp: only have the sessions persist if the user checks the "remember me for two weeks" checkbox. I like that timeframe, btw, and really see no reason to require that timeout parameter to be configurable in the manager. If someone needs to tweak it, they can do so in the config file in about 20 seconds.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • Alright, nm, hold of on this for a while folks; I need to back out these changes, as it’s creating some very unpredictable results on PHP 4. Back to the drawing board.

embarrassed