We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 577 Posts
    I’m on MODx2 TP3 (x2) using firefox 1.0.6 and tried in the latest safari too.

I have empty tables in the db and can’t figure out how to do anything with the metatags and keywords.

Anybody got any test data I can pump in?

Yep, did check the installer sql file too.
      Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • 577 Posts
      Is this a bug?

I couldn’t find any sql data to import.
      Also, even when I did force data into the db through phpmyadmin I still can’t edit from the manager.
        Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • Both items are managed from the Manage Resources tab in the manager. Launch the editor from the META keywords tab.

Add them to each page from the page settings, same tab name. Control-click (command on Mac) to select multiple items.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 577 Posts
          doh, boy do I feel stupid now.

Thanks for the heads up!
            Tangent-Warrior smiley
            • 577 Posts
            oh, just found something that should be added: rating

Might be good for those users that are being restricted by content level:
            general, mature, restricted, and 14 years

Was sort of thinking that maybe some of the options like rating, distributin, expires, (the ones that have obvious choices) to be on an extra drop down list.

That way "we" lazy users don’t have to remember or dig for those options
              Tangent-Warrior smiley
            • That’s a great idea Carsten. Can you head up the "defaults" collection effort for the next Tech Preview Release, hopefully next week (3.3)? We’re working on the newly revised -- and quite useful I might add -- stock installation right now. laugh
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 577 Posts
                ugh, no edit ...

edit: Maybe, even throw in a variable length text field. For example, for keywords and description that it grows to a 255 character length and stops there. This would give a good idea to the user that this is what a search engine might possibly allow.
                  Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • 577 Posts
                  Here’s a quick write up that I put together from sources on the web. By far I am not the expert here. But hopefully this list will help.

* Title

length :: enlarge the text field in order to be able to see more

* Description

length :: 255 characters (seems to be a robot/searh engine preference at the moment)

* Keywords

length :: 255 characters (seems to be a robot/searh engine preference at the moment)

* Abstract

note: not all engines use this. Good to throw in just in case

* Author

* Copyright

use :: Copyright © XXX (provide the words "Copyright ©" in the field)

* Robots

ALL - Designates that page should be indexed and all links should be followed.
                  NONE - Designates that page should not be index and links should not be followed.
                  INDEX - Designates that page should be indexed.
                  NOINDEX - Designates that page should not be indexed.
                  FOLLOW - Designates links should be followed.
                  NOFOLLOW Designates links should not be followed.

usage:
                  none
                  index, follow
                  index, nofollow
                  noindex, follow
                  noindex, nofollow

* Revisit

use: XXX days (provide the word "days" in the field)

* Distribution

usage: Global, Local or IU

* Language

provide a drop down list

* Expires

Usage :: <META NAME="EXPIRES" CONTENT="COPYRIGHT OWNER">
                  note: I’m not sure what this really does yet

* Refresh

provide a time field and a url field
                  note: no recommended to use

* No-Cache
                  usage :: yes/no drop down
                  note: seems that both of the following are useful

version 1 :: <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
                  version 2 ::<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
                    Tangent-Warrior smiley
                  • Thanks Carsten, very helpful smiley