We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,732 Posts
    Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 22, 2005, 04:02 PM

... One other quick thought, how about a way to add additional features to the SDK, so if I write a custom module, it could have hooks into the SDK and it becomes available as part of the SDK.

Well, I’m thinking we could allow such features via plugins/events. For example an external program can invoke custom events to perform certain tasks. In other words a user could expose a function in the form of an event where a third party app can call it, pass parameters to it and then get the results back. What do you think?
      xWisdom
      www.xwisdomhtml.com
      The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
      MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
      • 577 Posts
      I think that this thread should be split at the start of the SDK smiley
        Tangent-Warrior smiley
      • Quote from: xwisdom at Jul 22, 2005, 04:51 PM

Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 22, 2005, 04:02 PM

... One other quick thought, how about a way to add additional features to the SDK, so if I write a custom module, it could have hooks into the SDK and it becomes available as part of the SDK.

Well, I’m thinking we could allow such features via plugins/events. For example an external program can invoke custom events to perform certain tasks. In other words a user could expose a function in the form of an event where a third party app can call it, pass parameters to it and then get the results back. What do you think?

So what is the purpose of an SDK in our context? I don’t really see the need. I also really like your DBAPI so far; very simple, efficient, and straightfoward. I believe including another external API for this would be a mistake at this point; anyone can include whatever DB API’s they want to in so many different ways with MODx anyway, I’d rather see us focus our energies on the concise functionality of the CMS and application framework itself, with a special focus on the application integration portion of the framework; I think this is one place we can really stand out from the crowd.
          • 1,732 Posts
          Quote from: OpenGeek at Jul 22, 2005, 05:09 PM

So what is the purpose of an SDK in our context?? I don’t really see the need.? I also really like your DBAPI so far; very simple, efficient, and straightfoward.? I believe including another external API for this would be a mistake at this point; anyone can include whatever DB API’s they want to in so many different ways with MODx anyway, I’d rather see us focus our energies on the concise functionality of the CMS and application framework itself, with a special focus on the application integration portion of the framework; I think this is one place we can really stand out from the crowd.

Thanks Jason,

When I get some time I’ll create working demo of the SDK and make a proposal
            xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
          • Now that sounds great! laugh
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me