We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    I wonder if it’s worth having a comprehensive list of what you’d want from a hosting service for a MODx site.

All I could find was this:

Linux
    Apache with mod_rewrite
    PHP 4.3.10 or above
    MySQL 4.1.x or above

I’m thinking of a table with things like:

suexec
    Plesk
    cPanel
    IIS
    mod_security
    php.ini allowed
    register_globals off by default
    can turn register_globals off
    create database rights
    phpMyAdmin
    etc.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 3,975 Posts
      Possible, but the audience we are targeting the software at, is already aware of it? don’t they? tongue
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • 24,544 Posts
        Quote from: zi at Jan 12, 2009, 07:22 PM

Possible, but the audience we are targeting the software at, is already aware of it? don’t they? tongue

Based on all the questions on the forums coming from people suffering from IIS, Tomcat, mod_security, register_globals on, etc. who have no clue what is wrong -- I would say no, they’re not aware. wink

I thought about putting such a table up at bobsguides.com and adding a list of hosts that are fully compliant, but I need help compiling the full list of desired characteristics.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 7,075 Posts
          I agree with BobRay here we can be a bit more explicit about server requirements, or should I say what is supported (Apache) and what is not (IIS, lighthttpd, Tomcat, Zeus...). We can also point to the appropriate forums for the unsupported platforms to show that though it’s not supported, it’s possible with some tweaks...

And yes we could add some advised/not advised environment variables (mod_security, register_globals and such).
          It would be nice to have this for the new modxcms.com.

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • Good idea Bob. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 4,205 Posts
              I like the ’modx will run virtually anywhere’ principal. Let them worry about it after they install it rolleyes
              Maybe have two specs, the simplified one with a ’details’ view to get the best of both worlds.

There is a bit of value in having to answer problems. If no one asked questions the forums would not have such a great reputation and these days the quality of a product is paralleled by the quality of it’s support.
                [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                • 7,075 Posts
                Good idea smiley

And true, but we also have to find the good balance with this : sometimes we spend time repeating the same answers over and over, that are best served by tutorials (like yours) and documentation. This forum is one of the greatest I have ever been part of, but sometimes it also makes finding information (even when you know it exist) a real chore...
                  .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id