We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,205 Posts
    They asked me for a followup tutorial which will most likely be ready late next week or early the following (depending on my workload). I think it will cover:
    1) a little more on ditto and indexing (maybe a wp reflect archive)
    2) tagging (TV + Ditto)
    3) comments (Jot)
    4) Web user + front end editing (like in the demo site) <-- not sure about adding this one
    5) basic FURL setup

I don’t want to cover installing add-ons since the manual method (no wtf for 096+) may look bad. So I will stick with the standards.

It will not be as long as the first so there is room to add a few paragraphs about the future of MODx or any other plugs. Just let me know.
      [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don&#39;t know what it is.
      Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
    • Definitely cover @INHERIT binding in a TV. We use this all the time and it’s a lifesaver. Using @SELECT binding to populate a list of pages in a dropdown TV might be an interesting thing to show to. Definitely some things that are at least MODx-firsts, if not exclusive to MODx.

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • I’d also consider stressing that since it is a framework oriented CMS that it is not for those who want to install+theme=website necessarily but for those who want to quickly build out a customized site for a client or end user.

I’d stress the widest possible use of TVs for ease of use for end users (essentially leaving the site down to filling out forms). I give end users the least amount of control possible and allow the least amount of thinking.

Personally I think you could do a whole article on TVs and their wide array of features and benefits that literally blow all other CMSs out of the water.

BTW. I am in the final process of writing a complete article on MODx as an alternative to Wordpress, Blogger, TextPattern and MT etc. for web professionals. It will be on the new MODx site on launch.
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • If you do choose to cover installing non-default add-ons, then I’d cast a vote for ManagerManager and showing how to add custom "new content buttons" to the welcome page. FWIW, we’re getting away from core distributed add-ons, but adding them in Revo will be easier and we’re considering our options for Evo.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 741 Posts
            Things like Ditto, Jot, ManagerManager should really be mentioned smiley

Maybe tell something about how you can easy create a module? Or maybe leave that for part xx tongue
              with regards,

Ronald Lokers
              'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• 4,205 Posts
              Thanks guys, great input. ManagerManager is a great idea, I haven’t used it much so would need to study a little first. I am afraid to cover to many addons and not enough core MODx, so the @BINDING idea is great. I was also thinking of maybe walk through creating a simple snippet to show how easy it is, something simple like date formatting or creating the tag links (since this would use the api to get the TV value). I don’t want to get too technical since it is still a intro to MODx.

Based on this input I will rethink my original plans for P2, thanks.

I hear that there are a few MODx tutorial sites in the brewing and the wiki have space to add stuff as well. Also I see a growing number of blogs mentioning MODx as well.
                [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don&#39;t know what it is.
                Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]