We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7,075 Posts
    Let’s start modx marketing revolution ! Or should that be revolution’s marketing wink

I think it might be nice to gather user & team feedback about Revolution (from the forum but possibly people blogging about it), both "good" and "bad" :

• good will help us build "selling points" like BobRay’s recent post (see below) which inspired me to start this thread (again kudos for this !)
    • bad will help us prepare our argument or clarify misunderstood items about Revolution (more probably than not, when "bad" feedback occurs there will be answers from the team or proficient users which will add up to the "good" list smiley )

I also believe this material could inspire us for the content of the new modxcms.com for pages regarding revolution.
      .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
      • 7,075 Posts
      Let me start

Quote from: BobRay at Dec 11, 2008, 09:30 PM

I’ve been working with Revolution for a while and the transition to it was surprisingly smooth. As far as creating web sites, it’s just like Evolution, only easier. Your work in the Manager is almost exactly the same. There’s still a document tree, and you create documents (now called Resources), templates, and chunks the same way you did before. There are some minor changes to the tag syntax ( [!snippet!] becomes [[!snippet]] ) but they are very logical and easy to remember (especially if you put a cheat sheet above your desk wink ).

When you want to install or update an add-on like eForm, you just get it through the Package Manager, right-click on it, and select "install." Done! Believe me, this is like dying and going to heaven. Don’t like the wording of a text string in the core or in an add-on? Just go to Lexicon Management and edit it on the screen. Want to change a System Setting? Go to the System Settings grid, type its name or a keyword from the description into the search box and there it is, ready to edit.

Imagine this: You want a simple contact form on your site. You go to Package Manager, browse to SPForm, and click on "install." During the install, you see agree to a GPL license, you see the readme.txt file, and you’re asked where you want the email sent and you enter your email address. When the install is finished, you have a working contact form at your site that send users to a "Thank You" page after they submit. If you’re using Wayfinder, Contact Us most likely appears in the menu.

I think some people have been frightened by the high-level discussions of Revo design and features, but these really only affect add-on developers and, after the issues are settled, even developers won’t have to deal with much of what was discussed.

The only down side I’ve found (aside from putting up with surprisingly little Alpha shakiness) is that it’s now a drag to work on my 0.9.6 sites in the old clunky Manager. smiley

I think things will go a lot faster once Revo is stable and secure enough to go on a shared public server. I will then start porting all my sites to it ASAP. It’s not a huge job -- I ported bobsguides to Revo in an afternoon with little trouble and I didn’t use any of the upcoming migration tools -- I just cut and pasted, mostly.
        .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
        • 741 Posts
        I think we need some sites that are running Revolution on it’s launch date. That way you can show it’s new powers right away.
          with regards,

Ronald Lokers
          'Front-end developer' @ h2o Media

• Sites will just be sites, like any others. The Working/Marketing site itself will be a pretty good example though. wink
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me