We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 150 Posts
    Just launched a new site, http://maximumhandyman.com. Makes use of TVs, eForm and friendly URLs. The best part about working in MODX is the simplicity of templating from a front-end developers point of view!
      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
      • 6 Posts
      This is awesome! Well done, I definitely got a very strong and positive first impression from the site. I especially like the implementation of navigation at the top and the bottom. smiley
        • 75 Posts
        nice, clean, and love the use of semi-transparent png’s for the menubar, footer and the image captions overlay.
          • 150 Posts
          Thanks for the positive feedback! Their clients all love the site as well.
            "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
            • 368 Posts
            Nice site! One quick note though - you might want to set a good dark backup background color on the dropdown menus. When I first clicked on one, the text was illegible while the background image was downloading.
              Jason
              • 150 Posts
              Thanks for the tip. The problem is the background image is a transparent png, and there is the wood background behind that in another div. Do you know how I can set it up with a backup bg color, that won’t show up once the background image is downloaded? If I put the color in the css background property, won’t it show up behind the transparent png, and then block out the wood background behind it?
                • 368 Posts
                Quote from: goonz at Apr 28, 2011, 04:29 PM

Do you know how I can set it up with a backup bg color, that won’t show up once the background image is downloaded? If I put the color in the css background property, won’t it show up behind the transparent png, and then block out the wood background behind it?
                I would put the backup background color in the ul, not the li. i.e. around line 223 I would put something like this:

.centeredmenu ul ul {
                      background: brown url("../template/woodtexture.jpg") repeat;
                }

"brown" would be replaced with a reasonably matching shade of your choice. Then the wood background would override this color once it downloads, and the shadow png would properly overlay the wood.
                  Jason
                  • 150 Posts
                  Good call. I didn’t even think of that. Thanks!
                    • 150 Posts
                    I ended up looking at the site with images off and noticed another spot that needed a background fix, and took care of that too. Thanks again!
                      • 368 Posts
                      Glad I could help smiley
                        Jason