We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 9 Posts
    Hi all, my first website built with MODx (built on Revolution), launched back in September this year.

http://sunbaybarbados.com/

A bit of a Background Story

I found MODx this year after looking for an open source CMS that could give me more control over the HTML/CSS/JS it outputs than I had at the time with the CMS I was using for all client projects (Drupal). The catalyst for my search was a new client who had very strict requirements for SEO, standards-compliancy and HTML/CSS structure. I’ve used Expression Engine before and considered it as an option but this client is also a huge fan of open source and wanted me to find her an open source CMS. Based on a number of online reviews, MODx seemed like the ideal solution. At the time, Revolution was still at RC so I took Evolution for a spin and in no time I was hooked. I actually took Revo. RC for a spin too but because it was not yet at stable release I installed Evo. for the client and started my development.

Before her site was completed however, Revolution 2.0.0 stable was released and I wanted to test drive it to see if it was stable "enough" to upgrade my client’s Evo. installation to Revo. As if someone heard my subconscious I immediately had another one of my clients contact me to do a small four-page website for a Hotel they are opening here in Barbados in February, 2011.

"The website is to be very simple", he said, "merely to be used as a Hotel pre-opening marketing and advertising tool, and with a simplified reservation form". "Sure! Anything for one of my most loyal clients. That’ll be #### dollars."

He agreed on the price and off I went. After completing the design mockups and getting him to agree on them, I was ready to whip up a one-day Drupal website when it hit me; you know, why don’t I set up his site on MODx Revolution! His site is perfect for me to test the waters of Revo. before jumping into the deep end. So... I did just that, and http://sunbaybarbados.com/ is the result.

The (Super-Simple) Site Structure

• Home page
    • About the Hotel
    • Reservation Booking Form
    • Thank You page

Add-ons Used

• FormIt
    • getResourceField
    • getResources
    • IE6NoMore
    • MetaX
    • TinyMCE
    • Wayfinder
      Owan Hunte
      Web Developer
      Barbados-based web development.

Before you bash it, learn it! There is nothing more annoying than an ill-informed rant.
      • 57 Posts
      hi mate, well done, good job. smiley

next time I am in Barbados I am there!
        • 9 Posts
        Hi SEO in Sydney,

Thanks for the positive feedback!
          Owan Hunte
          Web Developer

Before you bash it, learn it! There is nothing more annoying than an ill-informed rant.
          • 964 Posts
          Nice site, nice tropical colors!
          A room rates page would be nice...
          would increase the number of bookings.
            MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
            • 9 Posts
            Thanks for the feedback Charliez!

The rates are now being finalized, once they are my client plans to add a rates page. Our government here in Barbados went through an "economic reform" this year and in anticipation of that I believe my client wanted to see the impact it would have on our tax rates before making a final decision on the Hotel rates. Now that Government has dished out their budget proposals my client is finalizing the Hotel rates.
              Owan Hunte
              Web Developer