We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 126 Posts
    I haven’t (hadn’t) relaunched my own site/portfolio in a couple of years. I finally relaunched it on Thanksgiving! It was fun, and I have to say that I’m really loving getPage and getResources! ...although Quip is proving a pain at the moment...

Enjoy!

http://inventurous.net

grin
    • whoooowww...!

this is a fantastic MODx site!

jQuery rocks!
        Rico
        Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
        MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
        • 3,975 Posts
        Beautiful site.

Be sure to submit into MODx showcases!
          Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
        • Now that is one rocking site! Great work!
            Billy Koch
            Follow me on Twitter: @DefKoch
            • 15 Posts
            Incredible design!

Too bad it has almost no SEO value.
              Chris Kluis, MBA, MSE
              Director of Marketing
              Mintek Mobile Data Solutions
              EAM & CMMS Software
              EAM & CMMS Blog
              • 126 Posts
              Yeah... I thought about that, but I’m happy with word-of-mouth right now, personally. ... I don’t think I could handle much more than I already have on my plate right now.

I have been thinking, though, about how one would handle the SEO for a site such as this...

Any thoughts on this solution? ... I could create some invisible links on the page to some "aggregate" pages: I could use getResources to duplicate the content of each page/section on a minimal template page for the search engines which would also contain a JavaScript that bounces someone back to the main page/template when they link in from the search engine.
                • 15 Posts
                Actually, I wouldn’t do it like that at all.

Think of a blog site where the main page shows a preview and you jump to the full section by clicking the title or "read more."

Your subpages should be on templates that are SEO optimized differently than your main page if the point of the main page is to show off some ajax goodness.

Email me @ chris.kluis [at] mintek . [com] if you want a specific recommendation.

Chris Kluis, MBA, MSE
                  Director of Marketing
                  Mintek Mobile Data Solutions
                  EAM & CMMS Software
                  EAM & CMMS Blog
                  • 126 Posts
                  ckluis:

...except that my site, from the browsers perspective, all lives in one page. The sub-pages all have to have blank templates because they are loading directly into the site (not through an iFrame, which wouldn’t work the way I wanted it to anyway).

So, technically, there are no sub pages, and the resources in ModX can’t output anything but the raw content.

Thus, my idea was to create an SEO template but instead of applying it to the actual sub-pages, make a set of unique seo pages and use getResources to pour the content into each one (so editing only has to happen in one place). For the blog / portfolio it would be a single page made using getResources, paginated with getPage. ... so... ultimately I think we are saying the same thing...

I also think, though, that I should use JavaScript to hide the links when the page loads (instead of by default). That way, without JavaScript a person would get to the simple SEO version that I can apply some minimal styling to.
                    • 3,975 Posts
                    Look at this guys: http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/ /thx @kunane

If you’re running an AJAX application with content that you’d like to appear in search results, we have a new process that, when implemented, can help Google (and potentially other search engines) crawl and index your content.
                      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                      • 126 Posts
                      Good article, but the HTML snapshot method seemed like a lot of extra work compared to the "hijax" method--especially since ModX does such a great job of letting you dump out your data six ways from Sunday.

I got the non-javascript version of the site up as I described earlier. It took about 2 hours to create the template, and no content was duplicated. Easy-peasy!

So now there is a fully functioning non-javascript version of the site that crawlers, people with javascript turned off, and IE users (with a nasty message that they need to get a new browser) get sent to.

For now, I decided to put a link at the top of the page to the dynamic site rather than have JavaScript auto-redirect there. My thinking is that if someone gets to the site from a search engine, they are probably looking for some specific content, and I don’t want to make them have to dig through my site to find it all over again.