We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 129 Posts
    I am building a site for a sailing club and the client wants to implement a "crew finder" system. I am seeking help with this part of the project as follows:

1. Users register on the site, either as a sailor or as a boat owner.

2. If they register as a sailor, they need to tick on which boat type they wish to sail (from a given list) or last option is "Doesn’t matter". Depending on which boat type they selected, their email address needs to be added to a relevant sailor mailing list. Those that select "doesn’t matter" should be added to all sailor mailing lists.

3. If they register as a boat owner, they need to tick the type of boat they own (from the same given list). Depending on which boat type they selected, their email address needs to be added to a relevant boat owner mailing list.

4. Registered users can send emails to the members of a particular mailing list through filling in a form. This form should pre-fill with information from the user’s registration details, so that once logged in they do not need to enter their name, email address, phone number, skill level etc. every time they wish to complete a form to send an email

5. The idea of the Crew Finder is that a sailor without a boat, but who is available to sail on a given day, can send an email (through eForm) to a mailing list of registered boat owners (of a particular type of boat) to let them know that they are available if anybody needs crew. Similarly, boat owners can use the system to send an email to a mailing list of sailors to let them know that they are going on a trip but have space for some crew.

6. It should be possible for user’s to stay logged in even after closing the browser window, i.e. the site ’remembers’ them on this computer.

This link might help with the generation of the mailing list, unless you have a different solution already: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,33522.0.html

Well, that’s the jist of it. I would be happy to outsource this functionality, so please PM me with your fee if anybody is interested (I am happy to pay a decent rate to somebody who provides quality work). The site is being built in Evo 1.0.5. and work should start on this functionality as soon as possible.