We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 147 Posts
    OK:)
      • 172 Posts
      Quote from: e-stonia at Jan 08, 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote from: gOmp at Jan 08, 2011, 03:19 PM
      (for evo ,but still)

It’s for Revo.

I can confirm that ResourceEditor is only for Evolution, just as other solutions here are only for Revolution. The APIs are unfortunately different.

I have tried and evaluated Revo and made a conscious decision to stay with Evo. If/when I switch CMS - be it to Revo, or something else that isn’t MODx at all - it will be because I have found one more suited to my work. Revo certainly seemed fine, but neither better nor worse (overall) then Evo - and switching to something just because its different, doesn’t to me justify the learning curve.

Each to their own I guess.

As such, I have little incentive to code for Revo, although I may take a look sometime (not soon) just to see if it would require much extra work. I’d probably use a similar approach as with my search snippet (http://timspencerweb.co.uk/modx-search) where I basically write ’wrapper’ functions for the API functions I need that have been dropped from Revo. However, whilst that was reasonably straightforward, at least for Revo 2.0, I think ResourceEditor will take longer to make suitable for both Evo and Revo as it uses more API functions than my search code.

Its a shame so many of Evo’s API functions have been dropped in Revo. Whilst the solution I mention works, it seems a bit messy.

-- Tim.

• 147 Posts
        Quote from: TimGS at Jan 08, 2011, 05:59 PM
        Revo certainly seemed fine, but neither better nor worse (overall) then Evo - and switching to something just because its different, doesn’t to me justify the learning curve.

Thank you Tim - very interesting reply. I switched to Revo because they say that Evo get’s slow if there’s more than 5000 pages and some of my customers may grow bigger than 5000 and I want to be able to develop websites in Revo. Also, I’m afraid that more and more people will start developing extensions for Revo and development for Evo will slowly stop so future is Revo.

Br,
        Kaspar
          • 172 Posts
          Quote from: e-stonia at Jan 09, 2011, 06:06 PM

Quote from: TimGS at Jan 08, 2011, 05:59 PM
          Revo certainly seemed fine, but neither better nor worse (overall) then Evo - and switching to something just because its different, doesn’t to me justify the learning curve.

Thank you Tim - very interesting reply. I switched to Revo because they say that Evo get’s slow if there’s more than 5000 pages and some of my customers may grow bigger than 5000 and I want to be able to develop websites in Revo. Also, I’m afraid that more and more people will start developing extensions for Revo and development for Evo will slowly stop so future is Revo.

Br,
          Kaspar

After typing my last post I had a look again for what other people have said on this. I found and posted on this thread http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,42153.40.html (’Evo or Revo?’)

The thread http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,56823.msg327269.html#msg327269 may worry you a little if you have switched for the 5000 page limit. Take a look for yourself - I can’t say I fully understand this mainly due to my lack of knowledge of Revo’s caching system. The gist seems to be that although this issue should improve, you shouldn’t rely on this perceived scalability after all.

Just because Revo is billed - explicitly or implicitly - as the future doesn’t strike me as a reason to switch. I want to use tools that are best suited for the purpose I need them for. If I just used something because ’most’ people ’said’ it is ’better’, the ’future’, what ’most people use’ or ’it has the most plugins/add-ons/extensions’ then I’d be using Drupal or Jooma without question. I’m not, and I don’t want to use anything else without question either!

Apols if this is getting a bit OT. The ’Evo or Revo’ thread is probably best suited for more discussion on this - and I’d be interested to see what others think on this.

-- Tim.