We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    I need a plugin created to take care of the following:
    Upon adding a new frontend user via the backend, a resource is also created that only that particular user can view.

Manually, this is time consuming, so I want to automate it using this plugin.

Code will be released to the public. If $250 isn’t a fair rate for the work involved, please let me know smiley

- HappyPelican
      • 24,544 Posts
      Never use the word "simple" in a commercial inquiry. wink

There’s almost always more to it than you think of at first.

Creating a web page in code is simple, but I’m guessing that you want something ON that web page and getting the code to produce exactly what you want can be time consuming.

There are also quite a number of ways to implement the security aspects of this (snippet, plugin, ACLs, etc.) and it will take a while to decide on which you want and another while to implement them.

Some other questions come to mind too:

Do you want the user re-directed to their own page on login?
      What should happen when users try to access someone else’s page?
      Will there be a page listing all users?
      Will you be doing all the CSS and HTML of the member pages?
      Will you need any modifications to the Create/Edit User form in the Manager (i.e., extra fields).
      Will there be content on the member page that is unique to the member but that is not in the user or user profile tables in the DB?
      Do you expect to let the user modify his or her page?
      Will the member’s personal page ever have any children or siblings that the member can see?

You’re more likely to get a response once people know a little more about exactly what you want.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 697 Posts
        Never use the word "simple" in a commercial inquiry.

There’s almost always more to it than you think of at first.

Creating a web page in code is simple, but I’m guessing that you want something ON that web page and getting the code to produce exactly what you want can be time consuming.

I totally agree with Bob.

If $250 isn’t a fair rate for the work involved, please let me know
        I appreciate the fact that you ask. I’m not an expert with Revolution, but I think the amount is not enough for most developers.

For the mean developer, it will take about one hour to be sure that he correctly understands your exact needs for something you consider "simple". Then, this developer should know precisely how permissions work, look at the tables, a.s.o. Then assuming that things go well, he will take about one hour to prepare a quotation. Then, about two hours to code a small snippet and probably more for a plugin. Once the code written, there are quasi-always bugs. So, one more hour to debug. And then the developer must contact you again and will still have to do all the administrative tasks like the bill.

Most webdesigners are not aware of what development means and I encourage everyone who has time enough to code a basic snippet. You’ll have a much better idea of the work involved after having coded a simple thing by yourself.