We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I control everything from the MODx side on that part.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 361 Posts
      Our goal with FoxyCart was to eliminate duplication of data, so FoxyCart doesn’t actually control pricing (or products/inventory, for that matter) at all (except for downloadables). So, by design, everything should be controlled by MODx (TVs, most likely).

This works really well (imho), since you can build and control your site exactly how you want in MODx. No duplication of data, and most of what you (or your clients) would need to do would be controlled in one single place (the MODx manager).

As Ryan mentioned, it also allows you to use MODx to display different prices to different webuser groups and such. (Eventually we’re going to try to allow the FoxyCart admin to actually show up within the MODx manager as a module, but that’s a bit down the road, and probably after 0.9.7.)
        Need MODx Ecommerce? Try FoxyCart!
        • 122 Posts
        Just to touch on the subject relating to CubeCart and a cart for modx. Having shopping cart functionality is more than just being able to add products to a cart, it’s also about customer, product and order management. Whilst incorporating a cart into Modx might appear to be a fantastic thing to do, users may suffer in a couple ways... namely it makes managing the store overly complicated for the average person to understand, and you miss out on the additional features that differentiate between a brochure style CMS to a shopping cart system.

Of course shopx might bring a whole new element to modx eliminating the complexity of using TVs and Ditto. But until then, I have stayed away of integrating something into modx that will likely make it over complicated for customers who have trouble with a reduced permission modx login as it is.

I use CubeCart, swear by it now, and from a design point of view, and the visitors perspective, it can almost seamlessly integrate with a modx template (and vice versa). An example is my own inspired solutions site, in my sig. Of course it’s not perfect, and I’m sure I could create additional integration with some snippets to display products from the store in the modx front end, but I have chosen not to go that route simply because I’m not a PHP coder.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.

Edit: the site is down at the moment, but will be back this evening.