We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    Greetings, MODx community!

I am currently looking into CMS systems to use to build the next version of www.scratchradio.co.uk. I am responsible for the total overhaul of this site over the coming months including functionality and design. MODx seems like a great choice of CMS to me.. But there is a vital piece of functionality that we are missing.

As a radio station, we need to be able to show our programming schedule to our visitors. This needs to be viewable in a number of ways - In a searchable list (our schedule is 30 days long), where a user can search by show type, time and date, presenter name etc, in a list for the current day (obviously, not showing shows that have already passed), and in a "now and next" format, allowing users to see who is on air at any given moment, what will be the next show on air, and when the changeover takes place.

Within this, all presenter and show names need to be clickable links to the presenter bios and show information pages for the respective entry. Obviously, these pages can be created outside of this script as standard CMS pages - But we would need a way to input these links with the schedule.

I have looked at the calendar scripts currently available, and cant find anything that would be able to accomplish what we need on first glance. I wanted to throw this prospect out there to see if there is anyone who could help.

Our budget for this is unconfirmed as yet (we dont know how much we have allocated to the web budget yet), but I know it wont be much - We are a non profit organisation, entirely funded by donation at the moment. We hope to change this in teh future, but for now we are bound by student union rules on money making... And that is causing us problems.

As for timescale, I am planning on getting the site structure sorted out over the next 2-3 months, so that the site back end essentially works in full before i start to template it out. That process will probably take another couple of months . So the timescale for this stage of the project is about 8-12 weeks, with no specific start date or target release set as of yet.

Obviously, we would be all too happy for any code created as a result of this project to be resturned to the community it came from. We realise there may be very limited scope for such requirements, but if anyone else could find a use for it we’d be very happy for that.

If there is anyone interested in helping out on this, I’d be really grateful. Either post here, PM me, IM or email me. I’ll be checking for responses regularly as I’m eager to get this under way. Its also worth noting that I am a user experience expert... not a back end programmer in any way shape or form... So if there were someone who might like to take on a bit more and build the functionality of the site on a larger basis to a functional specification which I can produce, then I would be very interested to hear from them, too.

Anyway, thanks very much... I hope to be hearing from you guys soon!

David Eglin
    Head of Internet Comms
    SCRatch Radio
      • 236 Posts
      I worked on a project in the radio industry.
      http://www.herplaceradio.com/home

Lets talk some more
      763 639 3584
      [email protected]
        ~Shawn Himmelberger
        Check out my MODx Development and MODx Design Company - Himmelberger Design
      • Hello David,

A little late on the scene, but I’d be very interested in working on this project. I’m doing calendar/schedule code at present for MODx, which isn’t too far from what you require for a radio schedule. Do contact me for a chat.

Peter
          MAPLEDESIGN MODX development and MODX web design and custom development. Proud to serve UK and International clients!