We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 57 Posts
    I’m just wondering what the plans are for creating a vastly extensive, all-encompassing documentation to go along with MODx; something along the lines of PHP.net Right now it seems to be spread out across various sources. There are so many issues solved in the forums that come up again and again. All that could be consolidated into documentation.

Is anything like this on the radar screen?
      • 834 Posts
      Basically I think that writing tutorials can be more difficult and time-consuming than producing new code - honestly!

Maybe, but tutorials are infinitely more valuable and usable. There’s no point writing new code if a large group of people are still struggling to understand the program.

These forums are full of people bemoaning the lack of decent documentation, so hopefully the penny should drop soon, if it hasn’t already.

Decent documentation is what will allow MODx to explode as a solution, a lack of documentation will greatly hinder its uptake.

It’s the old adage "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him how to fish and he eats for a lifetime."

I know writing tutorials may be hard for some people, but for others of us we would gladly write up tutes and how to’s if only somebody would tell us how to use whatever it is we’re having trouble with in the first place.

There must be some collective way it can be done, so that it can be made easier for all concerned.
        Content Creator and Copywriter
      • Documentation is going to be improved over time. Many new to MODx, myself included moaned about the lack of documentation and tutorials. There is an effort afoot to streamline the documentation, bring it under one roof an open the door for more tutorials.

The development team is busy working on 097 and the testing and Q&A team is readying 0.9.6.2 to make sure that they are all working before moving on.

MODx appreciates any and all help that you can offer and most of us are willing to point you at the location of the help you need.

We know improvements must be made so be patient and ask lots of questions. Most posts on this forum get answered quickly and without criticism. We were all newbs once. Okay, OpenGeek wasn’t smiley

Cheers,

Jay
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • I’m still a newb and learn stuff about MODx every day. I just hide it pretty well. tongue
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • @rtrhash If I stop being a newb shoot me ’cause I’m a vegetable.
              Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub