We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    I’ve decided to create a tutorial.  To be up-front, I’ve only been using ModX for about a month.  The tutorial is somewhat rough.  I hope it’s a good start for those trying to get up and running, or those trying to choose a CMS.

I’ve taken one of the best templates I’ve found, Multiflex (version 3, update 4, layout 2), and structured my tutorial to show a new ModX user how to:

Show a Navigation Menu on Every Page
    Show Breadcrumbs on Every Page
    Create a Search Page
    Create a "Register with Website" Page
    Create a "Log In" on Every Page
    Create a "Contact Us" Page

I’d love your comments, especially if you have suggestions for improvement.

If you implement something from my tutorial on your website, please post your URL here. I’d like to know how helpful it is.
      • 1,193 Posts
      Any chance you might want to stick this in the wiki at http://wiki.modxcms.com ?

-sD-
      Dr. Scotty Delicious, Scientist.
        Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
        All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
        • 8 Posts
        I’ve created an account, but I can’t seem to figure out how to create a new page on wiki.modxcms.com. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?
          • 4,213 Posts
          Just write the page url that you’d like to have and click "edit this page".. like "wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/My new page!" for example. Many thanks for all documentation efforts!

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 160 Posts
            Hi; I downloaded and tried the tutorial and had some issues due to the complexity of the template. Here are my comments;
            1. Tutorials are intended for the new users to intermediate users to learn from.
            2. In this regard, your tutorial, while nicely done, does not address the new user very well.
            3. The template you have chosen is far too complex for new users - just looking at the HTML code is enough to make your head swim, let alone let one see what is going on.
            3. The tutorial template should be as simple as possible, with the fewest options so it easy for the new user to see what they are accomplishing. For example sotwell’s SimplicityX template would be ideal for tutorial use as it has the minimum items a new user would want to try their hand at; a header, header nav, multi column body, side bars and side bar nav.
            4. your tut does a nice job of going step by step - it would be very helpful to add a single sentence at the beginning of each step describing the goal of that step.
            5 It would also be helpful if on each step that adds a snippet, chunk or TV describes what they are supposed to add to the template or give a reference to the MODx docs that describes the item.

I know I have stuffed a lot in here, and would entail a lot of work on your part - but the suggestions I believe will make your tutorial a more powerful new user learning tool.
            Thanks for your hard work,
            HalD
              "Today’s headlines are nothing more than whispers of history"
              • 8 Posts
              Hi HalD,

I’ve staggered your comments and my responses below.

1. Tutorials are intended for the new users to intermediate users to learn from.
              2. In this regard, your tutorial, while nicely done, does not address the new user very well.
              3. The template you have chosen is far too complex for new users - just looking at the HTML code is enough to make your head swim, let alone let one see what is going on.
              3. The tutorial template should be as simple as possible, with the fewest options so it easy for the new user to see what they are accomplishing. For example sotwell’s SimplicityX template would be ideal for tutorial use as it has the minimum items a new user would want to try their hand at; a header, header nav, multi column body, side bars and side bar nav.

(I considered all of this to be one comment.) I realize the multiflex template is complex, but I felt it represented a complete website. It’s much easier for a new user to eliminate what they don’t need than to add something new. Any dissenters?

4. your tut does a nice job of going step by step - it would be very helpful to add a single sentence at the beginning of each step describing the goal of that step.
              5. It would also be helpful if on each step that adds a snippet, chunk or TV describes what they are supposed to add to the template or give a reference to the MODx docs that describes the item.

Great ideas here! Thanks. Also, now that I’ve discovered SkinGraft, I’m working updating my tutorial to include it.

William.