We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 59 Posts
    The documentation at http://modxcms.com/adding-snippets.html shows an example:
    [[MenuSnippet?id=`0`&activelink=`active`]]
    However, that snippet doesn’t seem to be part of the default MODx installation. I’ve used DropMenu instead, but it took me some minutes to work out that’s what I should do. Not complaining, of course; just thought it might be worth changing for others if I’ve understood things correctly.

Thanks. smiley
      • 4,213 Posts
      I think that the name "MenuSnippet" in that guide is just hypotethical (or maybe there has been a snippet of that name somewhere in the beginning, I don’t know really). But there is alot of snippets that can be used to do a menu. I personally think that Wayfinder is the best snippet to date, but there is more and more excellent resources being made constantly. Snippets can be used in many ways though.. for example, you could use Wayfinder to do list of news on your site, or FAQ listing with script.aculo.us effects, etc..

Some other snippets that are suitable for menus: DropMenu, Ditto, ListChildOrSibs, ListSiteMap, ListRelated, etc.. see Resource repository for more.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 59 Posts
        Thanks for your reply doze - will have a look at Wayfinder.

It’s just that noobs like me need things spelt out very literally to begin with. Otherwise you get lots of silly questions posted in the support forum. embarrassed
          • 354 Posts
          Quote from: ImpelGD at Sep 05, 2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks for your reply doze - will have a look at Wayfinder.

It’s just that noobs like me need things spelt out very literally to begin with. Otherwise you get lots of silly questions posted in the support forum. embarrassed
          I understand your confusion and I agree. In fact I was confused about the same thing myself when i took my first steps with templating in ModX based on its doc. For a "hypthetical" snippet name like this choosing something like YourMenuSnippet instead would doubtless help to avoid that confusion. Surely in the near (or not so near) future the documentation will be rewritten anyhow (as stated elsewhere the timing wouldn’t be very good right now due to upcoming changes and higher priority work). Also the (upcoming?) wiki would probably provide better descriptions if we all work on it a bit. Right now however the newbies will have to "fight their way through".

By posting this I don’t mean to criticize any ModX team members whatsover but I merely want to confirm the problem. I am confident that this will improve one way or the other sooner or later smiley