We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 78 Posts
    One of the things I love about Wordpress is being able to upgrade directly from within its manager system. If there is a security patch, I can easily log in to all of their systems and do a one click update.

Would be sweet to see that happen in MODx Revo too!
    • It’s definitely on the roadmap. Not sure which release it will make it into though.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • I imagine the upcoming NOC dashboards somewhat integrate with that, too smiley

This is definitely something on my wishlist as well, but more out of lazyness than a dire need...:P
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 572 Posts
          Just wondering if this is anywhere near to being integrated into future versions?
            www.9thwave.co.uk
               WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
            • 370 Posts
            +2
              • 24,544 Posts
              If MODX wants to entice current WordPress users, this is essential.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 83 Posts
                  Second one is confirmed to be working by Suzan, however it has to be modified manually for every new modx release because of the lack of release meta data, i was writing something which was checking github versions, but i didn't go on. It's frustrating actually as it is not rocket science, any of the devs can just spend couple of hours to write it. As Bob said, this is essential and will attract a huge number of regular end users and bloggers to install modx. Also for developers if the upgrade feature will come with a special permission wink so can be passed to end users
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Do you just need the version number of the current version? If so, it should be relatively easy to get it from modx.com/download with cURL. It's in this form, and there's nothing else like it on the page, so it preg_match() would find it:

<div class="release_package">
                      <h3>MODX Revolution 2.3.1-pl</h3>

The pattern would be something like this:

$pattern = '#<h3>MODX Revolution ([0-9]{1,2}.[0-9]{1,2}.[0-9]{1,2}\-[a-z]+[0-9]*)</h3>#';

The download link is there also as:

<a class="btn main" href="download/downloading/?id=53cee4dd62cf24023f00294a">Traditional

That should be gettable with this pattern unless the page changes:

$pattern = '#<a class=\"btn main\" href="([^"]+)">Traditional#';

If that would do it, let me know which you need and I'll try to create the full code. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 9 years, 7 months ago.]
                      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                      My MODX Extras
                      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                      • 83 Posts
                      @Bob, that's great, but still the y should have a updater from the manager, also a backup option, these 2 should be native functionality. I was talking with a web developer today convincing him that MODX is the best CMF, while i was demonstrating the back-end for him his first comments were about user to user security, self-upgrade and the backup options, he liked modx but was chocked how these features are missing, everyone agrees with that. I am not saying it is hard to upgrade modx, but we need to consider non geeks who just install and go.