We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 137 Posts
    Hi guys,

Was wondering if the following add-on is available?

I would like to display Google maps on a "find us" page but would love it to automaticly show the user diving directions without the user entering any info (just like the google maps knows where you are from a mobile or laptop)
    or alternatively give the end user an option to enter a post code or a locate me button?

Many thanks smiley
      • 2 Posts
      Hmm that would be a great feature especially for sites optimised for mobile phones. I’m sure its a matter of looking at the Google Map api and finding out how to use this feature with the Modx Api. Unfortunately my level of programming is not there yet but someone is bound to take this challenge. Its just a matter of time rolleyes
        Computer Science Graduate and Facebook Application Developer
        • 150 Posts
        Interesting feature. Alternatively, if you want to direct users to a page where they can get driving directions directly, do the following:

1. Embed a Google Maps™ map onto your page by going to Google Maps™, typing in the address (or biz name if they have it) and then clicking ’link’.
        2. Customize, place on your page (or skip this step to only link).
        3. Click the ’Driving Directions’ link on your new map.
        4. Copy the URL on the page you just arrived at.

And you will then have a working link directly to give directions. See it in action here (note the map, and the link above for directions):
        http://www.braeviewcare.com/directions.html
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
        • You can do this entirely in javascript using the Google maps API - you shouldn’t have to create any custom snippets or plugins. There are a few case studies on the API site that are really helpful for things like directions. I haven’t jumped into the client location stuff yet, but Google’s tools do provide that functionality.
            www.darkstardesign.com

Are you in the Nashville area? Join us for our next MODX meetup!