We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,039 Posts
    Some thoughts about improving the current (ajax) search:

* search TVs
    * search chunks

Problem: @inherit in TVs (has to look till something is found->performance?). What if the content of a TV or chunk is the same on 100 pages? Display 100 results and run the risk of suppressing "real" results? -> Difficult to handle, perhaps a solution ike Google´s "more results... " if a chunk is the same on more than x pages.

* search ditto generated pages

I often organize pages with ditto, for example overviews of items. But the single item never can be reached (isn´t linked to). With the current search the document is found and linked to, but I don´t want to have the single page displayed. Solution: Uncheck "searchable" in the document´s settings, but then the content never is found through the search. Possible solution: search the cache, so the ditto generated page with the content of the items can be found. Would that be possible?

* some kind of relevance rating with sorting

E.g. number of results / number of words as a measure?

* categorizing results

Possibility to define parents (folders?) as categories, so results look like

Departments
    --------------

result 1

result 2

Products
    --------------

result 3

Team
    --------------

result 4

result 5

Any thoughts? I think a powerful search is an important element of a powerful CMS wink
      • 22 Posts
      Scott M Sanders Reply #2, 12 years ago
      Though this was 4.5 years ago and 1.0.6 was just released, search (in Evolution) could still use some tweaking.

I had to do a find-replace on a query, Evolution found it in the content of several pages, but there was one yet in an HTML chunk element that I had to find manually.