We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 138 Posts
    Even if the 2 CMS go their very separate ways, it would be nice to keep some sort of template interoperatibility in the future... I understand that it may be not very practical (different functions - different names -different ways to do things)

My second fav CMS after MODx is Limbo (a light Mambo). It is nice to still be be able to load joomla/mambo templates into Limbo  wink

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
      I Corinthians (ch. XV, v. 33)
      • 19 Posts
      It is nice to still be be able to load joomla/mambo templates into Limbo Wink

Yes because this 2 cms works on the same template system. Modx has TV which haven’t etomite.. I think that different ways of development makes impossible to templates compatibility.
      But at the moment the differences are not big. Its quite simple to understand and using. smiley
        • 302 Posts
        Quote from: grieco at Oct 28, 2005, 10:57 AM

Modx has TV which haven’t etomite.. I think that different ways of development makes impossible to templates compatibility.
        Agreed. This will only become more and more true as the two CMS’ follow different paths into the future. While it would be nice, I think it is unrealistic to think that templates will usable in both systems. And if the developers tried to develop with that in mind, it would hobble progress.

The real issue is snippets, chunks, plugins, etc. Those make up a substantial portion of a template and provide the real meat of how the page is assembled. Clearly the two systems, even at this early stage, are significantly different.

I think a more realistic goal is to have a thrust behind getting the community to develop and donate templates (as Susan has done a LOT of lately). Build a repository of them. So there isn’t as much need to look elsewhere. There really aren’t that many "Etomite" templates out there anyway. Not considering how long Eto has been around.

Of course, I’m not much of a fan of canned templates anyway. Something about how my site would look just like someone else’s bothers me. One of the things that drew me to Eto in the first place was how EASY its templating system was to customize. I believe that will continue to be a strength and draw for many Eto/MODx users. But I know not everyone is that way... OK now I’m rambling...
          Standard Disclaimer
          I could be totally wrong.
          • 138 Posts
          It is quite funny the way people come to MODx, or why they chose such a CMS. I fell in love with MODx for its ease of use. It is VERY simple to set and use. The only thing missing for me was a large number of available and easy to set templates. Now I am starting to be fully happy grin

I just hope that the coders will not forget about the "blinking 12:00" people smiley
            Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
            I Corinthians (ch. XV, v. 33)
          • lol ... blinking 12:00 laugh
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me