We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 3 Posts
    Hi guys. Excellent work on this product.

I have MODx running on a preprod server, and we want to export all the files as smoothly as possible into a flat html format for a live server. Reasons include - security, significant performance increase, SEO issues etc.

I know MODx has an export utility, but it’s not quite sophisticated enough for our needs. A dream export would include:

1. Designating the destination for the export. Currently it uses "/assets/export" only. You could even have some kind of FTP/SFTP/SCP transfer utility, so the user could designate the destination as a remote server. Wow! This would completely streamline site exports.

2. Exporting the site into a directory tree structure. I use friendly alias paths to structure my site on the preprod server. However, with the current export functionality the documents are exported into one directory - the "assets/export" directory.

3. Automatic copying of all assets into that destination structure. This would mean that the new destination now has a fully working site, with all links to the stylesheets, images, js working great. Currently a lot of copying needs to be done to get everything working.

What does everyone else think? Anyone got any ideas how some of these functions could be achieved right now? Do I need to do some hacking wink or write some custom PHP scripts to do this?

Cheers

Nick
    • Good feedback and an area we’ll be exploring after the core features are a little more tested and optimized. You’re really gonna like TP3!
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 155 Posts
        Quote from: nickzeff at Jul 12, 2005, 01:50 PM

2. Exporting the site into a directory tree structure. I use friendly alias paths to structure my site on the preprod server. However, with the current export functionality the documents are exported into one directory - the "assets/export" directory.

I agree with 99.999999% of this...I can just imagine MODx being called a preproduction CMS for semi-static websites...hell, we could even slap cron functionality into it so that it publishes content that may not have been publishable...<drool>

One minor tidbit I wanted to just comment on, and this is more for anyone interested in SEO, but I have noticed using a flatfile structure actually works MUCH better than dropping things into folders. For some reason, it seems that google gives higher precedence when we all decide something should be seen at the top level.

This is an awesome idea....keep up the ideas!
          • 1,732 Posts

Wonderful ideas!

I’m not sure about the ftp upload though sad

Keep the great ideas coming

Best regards,

xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.