We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 5 Posts
    Whenever you have a document open and you click on another doc - it fills in that document id in the parent field. This is actually a nice feature - but it’s also annoying. I don’t know how many times I’ve clicked on another document and waited for it to load before I realized what was wrong. It’s inconsistant (it only behaves this way in a document) and it’s probably even more confusing for an end user. However it is a good idea - and it would be really nice if you could make TVs that do that to. I have a few pages that accept a single or multiple (comma seperated) document IDs, and it would be nice if they could just click on the id’s they want to add. The page could display the list of selected ids and their titles (as well as maybe a way to remove ids that they don’t want). In a script or template - it could return an array or a comma seperated string. In order to select which value they want to edit, there could be a button to the left of the TV somewhere (and also on the parent field at the top) and they could select which field they wish to edit that way. Whenever the page loads no button would be selected, so clicking on a document would load that document (which takes care of the first problem I mentioned). I don’t know how difficultt this would be to implement, or if it’s even possible, but I just thought I’d throw it out anyways.

Also, what about the possibility of multi tvs or essentially tv arrays. On the display page you would have a few fields to fill out, and if you needed more you could add by clicking on a link or button (like the polls in this forum). In a snippet, it would return either an array or a comma seperated string again (although a comma seperated string might not work here, since there may be commas in the tv - maybe a non printable deliminator).

Also, are there any plans to add the ability to have multiple versions of a document or web page?

Thanks again
    • Hi Chad,

I’ll leave some other comentary to the other folks here, but there are changes that need to be made to the way that Parent ID assignment is handled for sure. It’s too easy for a stray click to make documents "vanish" in larger sites (and even little ones!).

I personally think a Document should be able to be the child of multiple Parents, and also that the asignment should be done via a multi-select box or some other such method. I think I now a few folks that might just be able to make this happen, to. wink

There is also some work that needs to take place on the way TVoutput values are returned. You could write a snippet to loop through an array of fileds that builds a larger array of values. I’ll let Raymond, Jason or some other such coding-proficient individual comment on that one though.

Versioning is another area that will most definitely be addressed, but I’ve got absolutely zero idea when.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 5 Posts
        I’m not sure if I was completely clear on what I said on Multi TVs. Take the example of a poll. I could create a template that has say 4 tvs defined: PollAnswer1, PollAnswer2, etc. But what if one of my users wanted to add a 5th answer. I add a tv and make a quick change to the Poll code. And when they want a 6th? I was thinking that there could be a way to have it so that you had a tv which held other TVs. You could then have as many or as few values as you want, and the javascript stuff could add fields to the form. Am I making any sense here?
          • 1,732 Posts
          Hi Chad,

I think I get what you’re saying. I’ll have a look at this further.

xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.