We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,131 Posts
    Just a couple of suggestions for you guys! smiley

The first one deals with the adjustable bar between the control options and the folder tree. Right now, the top frame is set for 200 pixels. Personally, I think it’s too small cause it tends to hide some of the control options. I think it would be better to default to around 350 pixels since this size won’t hide all the options. I tend to lean towards the idea that most people would prefer to see all the control options first rather than having a large tree area. The fix is simple...go to manager/frames/1.php and change line 23. It should have something like this in it:

frameset rows="200,*"

Change "200,*" to "350,*" and it’ll look a bit better by default. Just a suggestion! smiley

Another one has to do with the opening logo on the login screen. Since the MODx Content Manager graphic is part of the background of sorts, it tends to be hidden behind the main login box. What I suggest is changing the CSS to where the logo is placed around 10 pixels from the top rather than the 85 pixels that it’s set for now (line 59 of manager/includes/accesscontrol.inc.php). Again...just a suggestion! smiley

L8R!
      Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
    • Thanks for the feedback. I think you’ll see some pretty significant changes in the relatively near future. wink
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 56 Posts
        My favourite change would be to get rid of the frames. The frequent reloading often gives errors that I can only solve with a refresh and sometimes by re-starting.
          • 1,131 Posts
          Without a major, major rewrite of the core code, getting rid of the frames would be a daunting task. It could be done though...but we’d be talking about some major work! wink
            Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
          • Frames are not long for this world, folks. Frames are not long for this world, folks. Frames are not long for this world, folks.

(Hits the home button... whew!)

See why they’re not long for this world? In this instance, they’re evil and there’s better ways to do it. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 56 Posts
              Indeed rthrash, they are frankly awful and make thing overly complex and unreliable.
              • Actually, it’s not all that bad. I had it half-done when this docman request came in. The action and processor scripts are all already neatly organized, and creating a nice menu was actually a pleasure http://www.alistapart.com/d/hybrid/hybrid-4.html. It would even be better to have the menu options in a table in the database and build the menu on changing it, then cache it in a file or even another field in the database; this would make for easy addition of backend modules.

The main thing holding me up was what to do about the document tree; javascript is not my forte, and it really does need javascript to be done nicely. I was considering just shoveling the whole thing (the tree, that is) into an iframe for now, until somebody came up with a better idea.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 155 Posts
                  Quote from: rthrash at Jun 08, 2005, 09:33 PM

Frames are not long for this world, folks. Frames are not long for this world, folks. Frames are not long for this world, folks.

(Hits the home button... whew!)

See why they’re not long for this world? In this instance, they’re evil and there’s better ways to do it. smiley

Hehe...This si true, frames are not very good.

But that being said, EMULATING frames using better technologies is not such a bad thing. Designing the backend API to work as a piece of software vs. looking like a web page is not a bad thing...if done correctly.