We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,131 Posts
    Ok...I know that I might receive a little bit of flak for this request...but oh well! Just my opinion really....

Being as the code for v0.6.1 of Etomite is just right around the corner, I think it would be good if the core code was kept in such a way as to allow for updates to newer versions of Etomite to be integrated easier. Granted, the changes already are quite extensive...but I do think it’s something that should be kept in mind. I guess my question is...are you guys aware of the newer version coming out and are you going to try and integrate these changes into MODx?

Also, being as some of us will be using MODx to build CMS’s for clients, I really think that allowing for the original Etomite/MODx branded Manager style is a good thing...or at least allowing for us to choose which style we’d like to keep. This could be done in one of two ways...either allowing for it to be selectable in the Manager itself or giving us a download of the modified files so we can "plug" back in the original style. Some clients may be hesitant to use MODx if it’s branded strictly as a major Etomite fork. And being that it is a fork, perhaps it’s good to keep it as such...meaning that it’s still an Etomite application with a big mod wrapped around it. I personally like the original graphics better so having this option would be a plus. smiley

Just some thoughts....

Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
    • LOL ... no flak, but no dice either.

Etomite is a totally different code base at this point from MODx. MODx already has vastly surpassed the capabilities of Eto, and will also probably do so with Metacube. We may create convertors to bring Eto .6.1/.7 sites into MODx but we probably won’t be doing much else with their code. In fact, over time you’ll most likely see a more optimized and complete rewrite of every aspect of the codebase.

Sorry about the news, but it’s the reality. smiley
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,131 Posts
        Quite understandable...heh heh...and stupid me, I didn’t even realize that the old theme was still in there! LOL! Anyways...I’ll see about possibly coming up with a new style/theme for you guys to add in. Something based off the default and new MODx theme...but honed to offer a cleaner look and layout. smiley

Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
          • 1,732 Posts
          Quote from: Bravado at Jun 06, 2005, 04:36 PM

...I’ll see about possibly coming up with a new style/theme for you guys to add in.? Something based off the default and new MODx theme...but honed to offer a cleaner look and layout.? smiley

Thanks a lot for helping out in this area smiley

Best regards,
            xWisdom
            www.xwisdomhtml.com
            The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
            MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
            • 1,131 Posts
            BTW, do you know who has all the source graphics for the most current version of MODx? Wouldn’t mind using these as source references for a new version of the manager. I’ll play with a new color scheme and whatnot...hopefully everyone will like it! smiley
              Jeff Whitfield

• 1,732 Posts
              Quote from: Bravado at Jun 06, 2005, 08:49 PM

BTW, do you know who has all the source graphics for the most current version of MODx?? Wouldn’t mind using these as source references for a new version of the manager.? I’ll play with a new color scheme and whatnot...hopefully everyone will like it!? smiley

Well some of the current MODx graphics are coming from Etomite. I have also created a few. Which of the source files do you need? I can go an search for them. If it’s the strips etc then I those would have to be recreated. I didn’t save strips and bg source files.

xWisdom
                www.xwisdomhtml.com
                The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                • 1,131 Posts
                Just whatever you have...don’t need much...heck, I might not need anything! LOL! Gonna work on a logo too while I’m at it. I think, if anything, the way to draw more people to the project is to brand it good so that it looks really professional. I tend to go for very clean, bold looks with my own stuff so...hope you like it when I’m done! smiley
                  Jeff Whitfield

• Quote from: Bravado at Jun 06, 2005, 11:31 PM

Just whatever you have...don’t need much...heck, I might not need anything! LOL! Gonna work on a logo too while I’m at it. I think, if anything, the way to draw more people to the project is to brand it good so that it looks really professional. I tend to go for very clean, bold looks with my own stuff so...hope you like it when I’m done! smiley

Don’t get on the logo and branding bandwagon too quickly -- we have some big announcements coming soon, including our new chosen name, logo, and much more.