We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2,204 Posts
    Would be cool to be able to set some Site varibles that are the same truout the site somthing like the sitetitle field so that when using a template that has a option for a banner that this banner can be set in a site variable instead of hacking the template all the time ore adding a TV to every page to get this done.

Greets Dim
      follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
    • That can be readily accomplished now with a Chunk. Or am I missing something here?
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 2,204 Posts
        That is treu but I do not want all of my clients to start edit chucks etc but would like to give them the opertunuty to change some small bits in the template like a slogan or a logo or something like that or maybe a Sales offer. Now I use a extra page to do that and load the page in that spot with the showdoc snippet but thats not realy user friendly and a lot of mistakes kan be made resulting in a messy template if I could set a Site Variable with som limits to its content like size etc that would be very helpfull.

I know that etoX is more made for webdesigners that endusers but maybe it would be good to have some userfriendly options

same goes for the settings I do not like that my endusers (sitefillers) change any settings but it would be a good thing if they could change there site name or small things like that or even change what editor thy whanne use so mabe we could enhance the user options a bit so that more options can be (dis)abled for the enduser.

another thing that would be good to have is a check if wildcards are used in aliasses like / ? etc all the caracters that will mess up the page same goes for double names you can easaly make to pages with the same alias that way those pages will not work.

there are still a lot of options that confuse a lot of endusers like clicking (and that way changing the parentdoc) on another document while editing.

but still I know its is not ment to be for stupit people but still lot of my clients are not that bright. so if I could eliminate some of those options that that would be cool also.

sorry for this long story

Greets Dimmy
        • Dimmy,

All very valuable feedback. Although we're currently really focusing on doing an outstanding job with a little more sophisticated user (developers and technically inclined designers), we also should go ahead and start addressing the code so that end users like receptionists, assistants, mom-and-pop shop owners and even corporate executives (or our moms and dads) could use the software and not mess too much up.

Keep it coming!
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1,732 Posts
            Would be cool to be able to set some Site varibles that are the same truout the site somthing like the sitetitle field so that when using a template that has a option for a banner that this banner can be set in a site variable instead of hacking the template all the time ore adding a TV to every page to get this done.

Greets Dim

This is already supported. All you have to do is set the default value of the variable and assign the variable to any number of templates where it will be used.

You don't have to modify the TV for every page.
              xWisdom
              www.xwisdomhtml.com
              The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
              MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
              • 2,204 Posts

Greets Dim

This is already supported. All you have to do is set the default value of the variable and assign the variable to any number of templates where it will be used.

You don't have to modify the TV for every page.

ok but do i want the enduser to be able to mess with tv's?
              not realy
              • Dimmy,

Suggestion #2:

Create a template/page in an unpublished repository to store all your custom site variables. Put the TV values there and make it a simple form that you can submit from the document preview. Access them by calling the TVs from the other pages.

Would that work?
                  • 2,204 Posts
                  Thanks alot for helping me out so fast

this will work I think I will give it a try

Thanks again

Dimmy
                  • If it does, I would like to see it in action. I can't quite wrap my mind around it, but it sounds like a great idea.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org