We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2,204 Posts
    Would be nice if we could include a Newsletter subscription snipped or even a newsletter composer using longtitles and part of the latest documents (newslisting) and be able to use a template and then mail the thing as html or even better pdf

Greets dim

...I wish that I could program PHP I have lots of ideas but no one that can help me learn PHP...
      follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
      • 680 Posts
      I actually have a newsletter mod that I have written and am using now. I am still working on the permissions side of it and I have a bit of code clean up to do but it's coming along well. I hope to release it as a plugin in the future, although that may take a bit of recoding depending on the plug-in system that is decided on.
        • 56 Posts
        aNoble, that would be fantastic any idea when you would release it?
          • 2,204 Posts
          aNoble, any news on this?
            follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
            • 96 Posts
            Hi,

I would like to write a very simple Newsletter snippet, that emails the text of a form to all the webusers.

Unfortunately, in the "API Quick Reference" I couldn’t find a function like "getAllWebUsers". How can I obtain the set of all webusers? Shall I do it in "the dirty way" (i.e. reading the DB directly)?

Thanks,
            Luca
              • 155 Posts
              Quote from: Dimmy at Apr 11, 2005, 01:52 PM

Would be nice if we could include a Newsletter subscription snipped or even a newsletter composer using longtitles and part of the latest documents (newslisting) and be able to use a template and then mail the thing as html or even better pdf

Greets dim

...I wish that I could program PHP I have lots of ideas but no one that can help me learn PHP...

In all seriousness, the best way to learn is to buy a book...if you have any familiarity with HTML and the likes, I would recommend MySQL and PHP for Dummies.
              • I quit buying books about four years ago. I think the last book I bought was the PHP Cookbook, and I never use it. I just do a Google for whatever I want, and usually end up in the php.net documentation, with a page full of user comments at the bottom, I can almost always get exactly what I need that way. The document manager that I’ve been working on came from a two-part tutorial that isn’t available now, and is badly out-of-date, but it was good practice modifying it for current versions of PHP.

There are so many fantastic tutorials and articles on the Internet for the downloading and printing. Some of the best sites inclued the O’Reilley developer’s site, Devshed, and the Zend tutorials site. Articles on programming style and avoiding common pitfalls are there too.

http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/

If you want a whole book, try here: http://www.techbooksforfree.com/

Another good resource: http://www.freecodemomma.com/links.php?cid=1

I’ve got better things to do than spend money on something that will just become a poor-quality doorstop in another six months, if it’s not out-of-date already!
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 1,732 Posts
                  Quote from: Commodore64 at Jun 18, 2005, 07:17 PM

Hi,

I would like to write a very simple Newsletter snippet, that emails the text of a form to all the webusers.

Unfortunately, in the "API Quick Reference" I couldn’t find a function like "getAllWebUsers". How can I obtain the set of all webusers? Shall I do it in "the dirty way" (i.e. reading the DB directly)?

Thanks,
                  Luca

Hi Commodore64,

You might have to do it the dirty way for now smiley

__
                  Raymond Irving
                    xWisdom
                    www.xwisdomhtml.com
                    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                    MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                    • 96 Posts
                    Quote from: xwisdom at Jun 19, 2005, 04:17 AM

You might have to do it the dirty way for now smiley

Ok, the only thing I have to do is to figure out how to do it the dirty way grin

Anyway, I’m turning my question into a wish wink. I think that an API function that enumerates all the web/manager users would be useful. Another useful function could send an email message to a user.

Thanks,
                    Luca
                      • 1,732 Posts
                      Quote from: Commodore64 at Jun 19, 2005, 05:04 PM

Anyway, I’m turning my question into a wish? wink. I think that an API function that enumerates all the web/manager users would be useful. Another useful function could send an email message to a user.

Thanks,
                      Luca

You wish is my command smiley

if you can wip up those functions then that would make life easier. Maybe something like getWebUsers() and getManagerUsers()

xWisdom
                        www.xwisdomhtml.com
                        The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                        MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.