We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 680 Posts
    I'd love to see POP, IMAP and LDAP authentication working for webusers definitely and maybe even for backend users.

We have already developed IMAP authentication for our site but it's very hackey. It would be great to have a permanent solution.
      • 1,732 Posts
      I'd love to see POP, IMAP and LDAP authentication working for webusers definitely and maybe even for backend users.

We have already developed IMAP authentication for our site but it's very hackey. It would be great to have a permanent solution.

Hi,

These are great ideas. The idea of use LDAP came up sometime ago and most likely will be implemented as a plugin/module. If you would like you can put forward a proposal outlining the IMAP authentication stuff and our developers can have a look at it.
        xWisdom
        www.xwisdomhtml.com
        The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
        MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
        • 680 Posts
        I'd be happy to work on the IMAP authentication myself. If the LDAP authentication get's worked out it shouldn't be too difficult to make IMAP work. The one issue is that while you can make additions and changes to LDAP, IMAP would be read only.

With that in mind I could see a lot of configuration options that would have to be put in place. The same site could potentially use LDAP, POP and normal authentication but may want to limit authentication to one type. Or registartion could be open to a certain type and the other types would have to be registered by administrators.

I'll take a look at some of the user/webuser code and see what I can do. I have a lot of other things I'm working on now so I might not get around to it for a while so if anyone else would like to give this a look please feel free.