We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 119 Posts
    If anyone has used TYPO3, Plone, Reddot, Ektron, Rythmyx or some other CMSs you are familiar with this. This basically allows editors/authors to navigate the site in the CMS and edit content elements in place. Editable content elements are usually denoted with an icon like a pencil or a dot. The selected element then is editable usually in a popup window. There's a lot more to this but those are the basics. I actually don't think it'd be a tremendous ordeal to bolt on the basics of this to MODx. We would have to add a check to the TV creation to note if it should be editable on the front-end or not and then output the appropriate code but it's not too difficult I would think. Thoughts? Anyone else see the value in ease of use for this? With the proper controls in place, authors would never need to see the backend/manager, just browse the "editable" version of the site.
    • This is something I've longed for for a long time. It makes a LOT of sense from an intuitive standpoint for end-users, and is something that we discussed a long time ago, but that keeps getting pushed back in the game plan.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 119 Posts
        This is something I've longed for for a long time. It makes a LOT of sense from an intuitive standpoint for end-users, and is something that we discussed a long time ago, but that keeps getting pushed back in the game plan.

I'd love to outline functionality on this one with you, I think we could work up a reasonable spec for someone to tackle. Maybe given all the recent great ideas on feature requests we need a roadmap/priority list. I think you mentioned something about that recently.
          • 1 Posts
          Ditto.

And actually I already did this for a client. They have a login link on the right side which presents a login widget in their template. Upon logging in, they automatically have "edit/delete/add a child page" links at the bottom of every page they have access to edit.

There are 150+ editor accounts and none of them has any clue there is even a backend.

Works very well-- and is the client's favorite feature of the entire system.
            • 577 Posts
            ++ :!:

I love this idea. It will also allow those who are not so web savy / programming orientated to take care of their site with a minimumal amount of hassles and probably the learning curve for the basic user will be that much lesser cool
              Tangent-Warrior smiley
            • Great stuff indeed. In fact this fits in perfectly with the discussions regarding breaking out the manager pieces from their framed prison and other UI enhancements (see discussions at http://vertexworks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50. We could most likely share the core document editing code for just about any conceivable back-end (i.e. manager) or front-end layout.
                • 119 Posts
                Ditto.

And actually I already did this for a client. They have a login link on the right side which presents a login widget in their template. Upon logging in, they automatically have "edit/delete/add a child page" links at the bottom of every page they have access to edit.

This would be the minimum for front-end editing, having edit/delete, etc. links on each page they have access to. The next step is to have links/icons to edit just individual page elements or sections/containers. As we get more detailed permissions, certain users might only edit certain page sections. For example, a designer might only be able to header images while the author can only edit the teaser and body text. Of course I can't help but think of this example and think of workflow :wink:

There are 150+ editor accounts and none of them has any clue there is even a backend.

I LOVE IT! Just the way it should be. IMHO of course laugh
                  • 577 Posts
                  Ok, I admit -- I'm starting to drool laugh

hehe, I'm sure many have the same opinion cool
                    Tangent-Warrior smiley
                    • 56 Posts
                    I was wondering why I needed to continue mopping my desk and floor when I realised that it must be becuse my tongue is hanging out of my mouth all the time when I read posts like this. However the proof is in the pudding, the appetite is there but as an absolute programming nitwit who obviously can envision this end-product, I don't know how this cane ver be realised. Infoclipper seems already to have integrated quite some wishes, but no examples to show. Getting rid of frames, front-end editing of TVs by user-permission etc. Too good to be true??
                      • 1 Posts
                      Infoclipper seems already to have integrated quite some wishes, but no examples to show.

Well, you can see the end result at http://www.bryan.edu

It's a site with over 1,240 pages and 150 editor accounts using exactly the things I've been describing. Unfortunately, though, since this is a client's production site, I cannot let you all in the backend.