We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 56 Posts
    I was wondering if the manager could be modified for site contributors who only need to be able to add, edit and delete documents within a particular folder. If they log-on they should only see their folderlist on the left hand side and when they click on a document the document with their specific template variables on the right hand site.

It may be even better if this is kind of seperate manager with its own login screen, etc. This would seperate site management from content management, which I think is cleaner, crisper and possibly "quicker".

As this is a "wishlist" I have to admit that I'm extraordinarily poor in programming and as such know that those ideas will be far more complicated and time consuming to develop and implement than one can imagine. Anyone who takes on challenges like this should be crowned programming King or Queen.
      • 6 Posts
      If I'm understanding you correctly, that functionality is already in place. You just need to define document groups and user groups and limit permissions with user roles. It's all explained in the Etomite documentation. It's all under "users" in the admin. Was this what you were looking for?
        • 13 Posts
        If I'm understanding you correctly, that functionality is already in place. You just need to define document groups and user groups and limit permissions with user roles. It's all explained in the Etomite documentation. It's all under "users" in the admin. Was this what you were looking for?

What he wants is almost done in Etomite 0.6. We just need to create other panel only for editors. And add some other features.
        • This should be relatively straightforward to do actually. Since we're reworking the tree, I don't know why we couldn't also only show documents / folders that a user can access. At least we should show them a disabled state if they cannot modify something.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • NOTE: Tree menu overhaul discussion moved to code refactoring forum.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 1,732 Posts
              This should be relatively straightforward to do actually. Since we're reworking the tree, I don't know why we couldn't also only show documents / folders that a user can access. At least we should show them a disabled state if they cannot modify something.

Currently x2 ( and I think x1) will not allow the use to edit documents they don't have access to. The can neither view nor edit them.

NOTE: All documents are public until they are assigned to a doc-group that's linked to a user group.

With x2 you can lockdown most of the manager to the extent that a user can only login, work on his/her pages then logout.
                xWisdom
                www.xwisdomhtml.com
                The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                • 119 Posts

Currently x2 ( and I think x1) will not allow the use to edit documents they don't have access to. The can neither view nor edit them.

But they can see the document there? A user named John Smith could see there is a document titled "John Smith to be fired on Monday" even though he can't read the document?
                  • 1,732 Posts

But they can see the document there? A user named John Smith could see there is a document titled "John Smith to be fired on Monday" even though he can't read the document?

No, he will not see it at all smiley

Documents they don't have access to they just can't see
                    xWisdom
                    www.xwisdomhtml.com
                    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                    MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                    • 138 Posts
                    I need this too smiley
                      patagonia, argentina
                      • 56 Posts
                      My scenario deals with the back-end. My colleagues should be able to edit part of the site without seeing and having access to the other management tools and documents, even though all edited content by all colleagues shuld be visible to the public at the front-end. So far ModX2 doesn't seem to only list folder-trees specific to the authorised back-end user when content is public, or am I missing something here?