We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    Not sure how to put this but this is how I would like to add content to a site

A workflow to build hypothetical book review section

Make the TV’s that don’t already exist author, publisher, price, and image
    Make content template something like

<div class="bookreview">
    <h2>[*title*]</h2>
    <h6>[*authur*]</h6>
    <div class="bookreviewimage">[*image*]
    </div>
    $[*price*]<br />
    [*content*]
    </div>
    [[comments]]

Make Book Review Form - assign the TVs to be included in the form, content template and page template

In the manager now a New Book Review link will be in the content section
    It will have only the required form fields and will be linked to the correct template

Marginally tech minded admins can easily create a Photo Gallery any kind of listing, wine, recipe, options are unlimited

More complicated or some standard out of the box solutions for beginner or users that just want a few simple options could be made and have a installer put everything in the right SQL table

Or have you guys already thought of something much better cool
    • Great thinking, and very similar to what we've discussed. I can say it will appear on a roadmap, but only after some additional re-work has been done on the manager and DB structure.

More than a couple of weeks away, but less than 6 months, I'd say.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 119 Posts
        Great thinking, and very similar to what we've discussed. I can say it will appear on a roadmap, but only after some additional re-work has been done on the manager and DB structure.

More than a couple of weeks away, but less than 6 months, I'd say.

That's pretty optimistic! smiley
        Proper workflow is a monster. Well-established CMSs such as TYPO3 still only have very basic workflow and have been working on their more complex workflow addon for quite some time. Workflow is more than just Person A sends a page to Person B for approval. True circular workflow allows for movement between n number of levels with rejection to any previous level. Roles should not be hardcoded but flexible. Some ideas can be picked up from this java open source engine:
        http://web.openwfe.org/display/openwfe/Home
        • :lol:

Yes, true workflow WOULD take a bit more time I'd imagine, but that's not really what was outlined in this topic. wink

What I meant was being able to have different templates for creating different types of pages, and nothing more smiley .
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me