We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 265 Posts
    Hi

Hope this isn’t going to sound picky or pedantic, but modx.com has a load of horizontal scrolling going on - not the homepage but a lot of others. Just thought it didn’t look so great, what with the profile rising so much and all. Otherwise the site is fabulous!!!!!!!

Tried it in a bunch of browsers, nothing out of the ordinary or with the number 6 in the title.

Cheers
    rp
      • 3,975 Posts
      Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #2, 13 years ago
      Can you provide screenshots please? If you cant attach to forums, kindly email me zi [at] collabpad.com

Thanks.
        Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
      • Redplanet,

What browser, OS and monitor res/size. The site works and was tested in most browsers with resolution of 1024X768. With the possible exception of old versions of IE I am not sure why it would be side scrolling. Thanks for your feedback.

Jay
          Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
          • 265 Posts
          Hi

On the box I’m using I’m getting scrolling in:
          ff 3.6.16 (earlier versions too)
          safari: 3.1.2
          IE8

Chrome is fine. Haven’t tested in Opera but can if you want, let me know.

My screen res on this box is 1600x1200, I’m running XP SP3 on a pc.
          See attached screengrabs - not all pages have scrolling, eg the homepage. What was slightly odd was ’about’ scrolls, ’about/media-center’ doesn’t, but they’re in the same section.

Also, ’services’ scrolls, but ’partners/solution’ doesn’t.

Hope this helps.
            • 3,975 Posts
            Zaigham (aka zi) Reply #5, 13 years ago
            Alright, its a browser bug. box-shadow on 100% wide elements increases their total width a little more than 100% so that triggers the scroll bar.

It was probably due to unclear wording in the specs, but it has now clarified: "Shadows do not trigger scrolling or increase the size of the scrollable area." http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-box-shadow

Thanks for the screenshots and ur time! smiley Much appreciated.
              Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
              • 265 Posts
              Very glad to be of assistance!
              Happy it’s sorted, learned a bit more today wink