We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 433 Posts
    Hi all,

I was wondering if the developers had thought about maybe adding a commercial area of the forum where people can post details of any projects they desperatly need help with. I have one such project at the minute that I would like to put out there, is it ok to post in the general discussion area?

Thanks
    Lee
      http://www.blend.uk.com | Web Design by Blend
    • I was thinking about something like this yesterday. My business is growing fast and I am thinking it would be nice if there was a job/help wanted board for the forums so I could contract out some work for MODx projects.

Not entirely sure if it is too soon for this or not but I’m in for a vote.

All the best,

Jay
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 1,097 Posts
        lw-d: Please feel free to ask for paid help. If it is not directly MODx related it should go in off-topic, but if it is MODx related you may post it in general discussion. I would not be surprised if some sort of paid-projects board gets added soon, and any increased amount of work offers will help make that decision. Be as specific as you can, encourage people to take further discussions to Private Message, and state in the title that you are offering recompense for people’s troubles. You may like to make clear to interested parties what the future license of the works or derivatives of the works would be.

As for the "job wanted" side of the coin - such postings are frowned upon currently. We’re not particularly encouraging people to advertise their services, but you may mention things in your signature or general posts. I think that would only change if there was a dedicated board, and I’m not expecting such a thing any time soon.
          No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
          MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
          Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
          Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
          Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
          MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
          • 433 Posts
          Great advice.

Thanks
          Lee
            http://www.blend.uk.com | Web Design by Blend
          • Quote from: PaulGregory at Nov 24, 2006, 03:30 PM

As for the "job wanted" side of the coin - such postings are frowned upon currently. We’re not particularly encouraging people to advertise their services, but you may mention things in your signature or general posts. I think that would only change if there was a dedicated board, and I’m not expecting such a thing any time soon.

Paul,

I reread my post and I it is not clear as to my meaning.

What I meant was for people who were looking to have work completed by members of the MODx community to post requests for work to be done and not as a place for people to promote their own services. What I need is to be able to find people to do work for me not to sell my services. I don’t think that there should be a place on the MODx forums to offer services as it would detract from the spirit of the forum.

It might even be good to have a nominal fee for job listings like they do at SitePoint. The fees could then be used toward supporting the project and as a deterrent from frivolous posting and would virtually eliminate any spammy posts.

If people like myself want to put out a request for hire for someone to do work on a MODx project there really is no better place to do it. I am not going to get these people from eLance or Rent-A-Coder.

Just some thoughts...
              Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • 1,097 Posts
              Agreed. My second paragraph wasn’t specifically aimed at you, but it was picking up on part of what you had said.

This might be a language thing - to me, "job wanted" means "I have a skill please pay me to use it" rather than "I have a task that I want someone to do". I did take it that you were more interested in the "help wanted" side.

The nominal fee idea is interesting, but I don’t think anyone here wants to code anything new up, so we’d be working within the existing SMF system most likely. What might work would be a board to which posting access was only granted if someone contributed towards MODx - that’s a simpler thing that could be hand-cranked fairly easily in the early stages. Perhaps also that could grant them a larger PM mailbox etc.

I’m moving this to the site forum, further discussion is welcomed.
                • 1,097 Posts
                Moved and retitled.
                • Paul,

Thanks for the move.

[Side Note: In the fog of my original post I used the phrase "job/help wanted" when what I meant was "jobs and/or help wanted". It was sloppy writing on my part and just made my post even less clear.]

I do like the idea of the granted access to those who contributed to the project but is there a way to just control who can start threads? I don’t think that people responding to help wanted listings should have to contribute anything other than code. Nor do I think that access to read the threads should be restricted either as it would not allow people to see what other projects are being requested to write better RFP’s.

Other suggestions encouraged.

All the best,

Jay
                    • 1,097 Posts
                    Quote from: smashingred at Nov 24, 2006, 04:12 PM

is there a way to just control who can start threads?
                    Usually there is, for things like the Announcement forum. I’m not completely au fait with SMF however, that might just be an admin perk.

You are right, restricting new-thread rather than all posting would be a good way to go.